Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Opinions on a tractor for sale

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tractordanp
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:09 am    Post subject: Opinions on a tractor for sale Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have had this for sale for awhile and have not had many bites am I asking to much wrong time of year ?
http://glensfalls.craigslist.org/grd/4157795666.html
Thanks dan

Oldiron29
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 3:29 am    Post subject: Re: Opinions on a tractor for sale Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nice little tractor! but I want a loader and diesel. oldiron29

Dave_Id
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 5:32 am    Post subject: Re: Opinions on a tractor for sale Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wrong time of the year for anyone to be buying a tractor.

RC Brooks
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Opinions on a tractor for sale Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hard to say what's typical for your area. For here it'd be just a little high. If you threw some aint on it, you could get around 3500 in my area as there's a lot new people with a few acres looking for just that type of tractor.

sflem849
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Opinions on a tractor for sale Reply to specific post Reply with quote

RC Brooks is probably speaking the truth for rural Indiana, but I have always heard the NE market is high. If you are high, it isn't by much. Store it until spring and you will find a buyer.

BigTone
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Opinions on a tractor for sale Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey Dan, I live in Salem, NY just over the border from you and I considered taking a look at your tractor for winter clean up work but the price was a bit more than I was willing to spend for that tractor. Problem is that in our area if its not a "popular" model its a hard sell, unfortunately. If you had a International 350 utility (even though its less hp) you would have sold it first weekend, but because it's a 464 people get nervous about availability of aftermarket parts, cost of IH parts, ect.. Also, you can find a hundred people around here who can wrench on M's, H's, 350's, 1066's, 656's, but ask someone about a 464 and they don't have much knowledge about that particular model only because farmers around here had no use for a utility, they would put a loader on their 656, 806, even an M and use those for utility work. People like to work on what they know around here that's why people are so brand specific in this area. Price is tricky, I could have gone to salem farm supply about month ago and got a IH 350u with a loader for $2,500, in my eyes the loader makes it worth it. With your tractor people are looking for a loader so figure a minimum of $500 for a older used loader, People might be looking for something in $2,200 without a loader, meaning if you had a loader I don't think you'd have a problem selling it for that price. Also, what do you have invested, are you willing to sacrifice a little to sell it, are you attempting to buy another tractor after this sale? Maybe trade the tractor in? Try listing it on the Albany page, you might get a bite or two from there...hope this helps and best of luck, ~Anthony

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Opinions on a tractor for sale Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Your asking price is well within reason, so that should not be a deterrent. You could reduce the price and it still may not move. Just set on it for awhile longer.

El Toro
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: Opinions on a tractor for sale Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here's a link to your tractor. Hal
Untitled URL Link

rhtx55
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Opinions on a tractor for sale Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The price is well within range. Be patient, these models have not become quite "popular" just yet.
Look at the hundred series Farmalls, eight years ago you hardly saw any at shows, and they were plentiful.
Now...they have certainly became popular, according to prices anyway.

tractordanp
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:15 am    Post subject: Re: Opinions on a tractor for sale Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Get ahold of me at tractordanp@aol.com
Thanks dan

mkirsch
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Opinions on a tractor for sale Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Where do you have it advertised? Just the local craigslist?

I look at that ad, and say to myself, "It's a good price but I can't use it for anything."

Your problem is in your marketing. A bare 464 Utility isn't an estate tractor, and it isn't a collector's item.

Craigslist people are generally looking for a collector tractor, or something with a loader for their "estate." It's a farming tractor so you need to advertise to more farmer types.

You need to reach out to more advertising avenues that reach a wider group of buyers.

wolfman
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions on a tractor for sale Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You"re price is ok. If that tractor is right (clutch, PTO, hydraulics, etc) I"d give 2800 for it if it were sitting in my lane. the lane is in s.w. Pa.

Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2013 2:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Opinions on a tractor for sale Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had a 300U that sat around all summer without a nibble. When it sold, I had two guys offering what I was asking, the first one with cash owns it now.

JDemaris
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Opinions on a tractor for sale Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Your price is fine as a good "user." Power steering, live PTO and hi-low trans means it can be used with many things other tractors cannot. I don't know why other's think it's has to have "collector" value or not have worth. I've seen similar tractors in this area sell for near $4000 is in good shape. Looks like a great "user" for a double 14" plow, rear tiller, rear 6' snowblower, brush hog, etc.

I suspect your problem is . . . few people are spending high dollars on stuff like this right now. I ran ads all summer in the Albany NY district area and was pretty amazed at how stuff is NOT selling unless you near give it away. I sold a Ferguson TO35 (live PTO and hi-low trans) for $1200. I sold an Allis Chalmers HD6 dozer in real nice shape for $3000. I had been offered $5500 a year before when I didn't want to sell it.

If you need the money - keep dropping the price until it sells. If you do NOT need the money - pull the ad and retry in the spring. Maybe things will get better and maybe they'll get worse. We've got rampant inflation even though it goes unreported. When a dollar is worth 35 cents - does that means tractors will bring higher pricers or lower pricers? I don't know. When I was a kid, a Milky Way candy bar was 5 cents. I just bought one yesterday for a $1.39!

oldtanker
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Opinions on a tractor for sale Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looks like a fantastic price for my area but as others have said, wrong time of year.

Rick

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.