Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TO20 transmission question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ark68SS
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2013 9:00 pm    Post subject: TO20 transmission question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There is a lot of side-to-side slop and about .045" of end play on the clutch shaft. The tapered roller bearing should have a small bit of preload and that preload is adjusted by adding/removing shims at the rear bearing housing retainer.
I really don't want to tear this tractor any more apart than it already is.
What are ya'll's thoughts on this for a repair? Machining a 1.0" x 7/8" x .050" thick washer and installing it between the input shaft roller bearing and the gear it normally would butt against. This would give the roller bearing .005" preload.
Did I mention that it's not an option to tear this down any further?
I'll post pics of where I'm at on this resto when I get to my other computer.
Thanks for the help,
BillL

Duner Wi
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: TO20 transmission question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Don't know if your scheme will work or not . If I was trying this I would look at fine tuning the preload maybe by shimming the outer edge of ball bearing and pushing it back toward your shim behind. I am not sure if shimm would stay in place ahead of bearing. Been too long since I had one apart. Post back how it turns out.

Tony in Mass.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2013 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: TO20 transmission question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well, I know how you feel about tear downs... but... after getting Shanghai-ed onto the fergie build team in Ohio... getting the spider gear out of a paper bad in the grass and putting the whole tractor back together and rolling in 22 minutes...which we intend to cut in half... I don't fret over digging further into the arsend to get the job done... a homemade shim the slips out and gets caught up in a gear cluster... would end up just that...

John(UK)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: TO20 transmission question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You also adjust this shaft at the front too, remove the Shaft and the Housing from the front of the Transmission case and you will find some shims between the Shaft Housing and the Transmission Case. There is no need for a major tear down if you just want to cure the side movement in the input drive shaft...John(UK)

Ark68SS
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:51 pm    Post subject: Re: TO20 transmission question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

John(UK) wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:22:57 12/13/13) You also adjust this shaft at the front too, remove the Shaft and the Housing from the front of the Transmission case and you will find some shims between the Shaft Housing and the Transmission Case. There is no need for a major tear down if you just want to cure the side movement in the input drive shaft...John(UK)

That's my problem, John, I removed all of the shims from behind the input shaft retainer assembly, and there's still .045" of end play. Sad
I'm going to remove the bearing cup from the shaft retainer assy and drop a .050" thick steel shim behind it. That should tighten up the preload without changing the position of the gears. There would be no way the shim can come out to do any damage.
BillL

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Harry Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.