Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

3020 hydraulics

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dennis430
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:20 pm    Post subject: 3020 hydraulics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have two issues which may be connected. Background: it"s 13 degrees here (MN). The hydraulic fluid is at the correct level.
1. 46A loader will keep going up even if lever is released to the neutral position. The bucket isn't affected. It usually happens if I lift the loader and want it to stop-it keeps going up. It has happened a few times when warm, but today it was constant.
2. The lever for the back blade was stuck (locked) in the down position and would not release. That is the first time this has happened. I pulled off the cowling and gave the pivot points a little WD40. Tapped it with a hammer and the bottom of the lever broke off. I really didn't hit it that hard.

Thanks in advance for your help.

MSM
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 3020 hydraulics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If the loader is plumbed into the remotes,one of your couplers may be worn out and not unseating the tips, or the coupler lock may have turned, and partially released the coupler. The 3 pt cable probably froze, it may free up when it warms up, but I would replace it. If it got water in it and froze once,it will do it again.

Dennis430
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 3:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 3020 hydraulics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So the issues are not connected. I'm not sure what to look for in the couplers. Should I disconnect them, reattach and see what happens? I didn't know the 3pt was a cable system. I guess I have more stuff to take apart. I've got a basic understanding of how things work; this is my first tractor. Thanks again, DC

Mitch D
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 3020 hydraulics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ours does that too untill u tap the lever the other way. Worn parts i figured. Ours is early by the way

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 3020 hydraulics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Loader works better on it's own joystick. With the oil supply tapped into the line supplying the SCV's. The rear scv's are best left for lifting cultivators.
The loader oil returned to the transmission filter via the rockshaft oil return line. Or a ported filter cover.

Dennis430
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2013 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 3020 hydraulics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Over my head; is there a filter I should change? It sounds like need a new cable for the rear hydraulics,

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: 3020 hydraulics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dennis430 wrote:
(reply to post at 20:07:11 12/12/13)

If I'm understanding you correctly the loader is operated from the rear hyd breakaway couplers??
Hyd filter is on LH side under battery, Screen(parts key #8) is located between filter and rear axle trumpet. Trans needs to be drained to check/clean screen or put a running shop vacuum hose in hyd oil filler opening.
AR75603 Filter Element ADD 7.96 USD
This is the A&I part number for the rockshaft control cable that you can get some JD dealers to furnish.
A-AR26810 Rockshaft ADD 91.11 USD

OR the JD PN
AR26810 Push Pull Cable ADD 131.00 USD

Last edited by Tx Jim on Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:09 am; edited 2 times in total
D-
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:58 am    Post subject: Re: 3020 hydraulics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not the couplers. If console tractor you have bad valve/valves. If you can switch sides problem should change to bucket so you will know for sure.

NY 986
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 3020 hydraulics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In regards to your loader issue the remote it is plugged into has valve issues. Chances are the spool needs to be replaced. Going from cast to stainless from the 10 series to the 20 series in the forward or dash mount controls minimized pitting but did not eliminate it. If you have a dash type control and go for a used spool/ valve make sure it is out of a 20 series tractor.

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 3020 hydraulics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Instead of re-working/rebuilding/replacing the dash hydraulic valves on an early tractor?
Could it be simpler and more cost effective to install a standard joystick loader control for the loader boom & bucket? There is no mention of a cab to complicate the installation.

NY 986
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: 3020 hydraulics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yeah, but he may want to square that remote away for when it is used on other jobs where he does not want the cylinder to move once set.

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:48 am    Post subject: Re: 3020 hydraulics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm not sure what you are getting at. Who would supply a joysticks from a worn out rear scv and tie it up? When a couple simple T's will connect the joystick. Which leaves the scv's open for other implements. And don't incur the cost or rebuilding old scv valves or worn scv couplers.

Last edited by buickanddeere on Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:50 am; edited 1 time in total
NY 986
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:01 am    Post subject: Re: 3020 hydraulics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Quite simply if the tractor is used on other implements and uses that remote circuit there is the possibility of the cylinder creeping unintentionally. It happened on our 4010 running a 347 baler that had hydraulic hitch shift and positioning of the 30 ejector. It has nothing to do with the joystick you are talking about.

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:54 am    Post subject: Re: 3020 hydraulics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What cylinder creeping unintentionally?
The loader is controlled via the joystick. Implements on the scv's have nothing to do the the loader circuit.

Dennis430
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: 3020 hydraulics Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The loader is plumbed from under the cowling. The bucket is hooked up to the remotes by the rear PTO. There are manifolds on both sides for the loader. I'm guessing the problem is under the cowling at a valve assembly controlled by the loader lever. I appreciate everyone's help, but some of the replies are over my head. Should I just replace the control lever valve? Probably expensive. I don't know what the term "spool" means. Thanks again, DC

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters