Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Adding Sweeps

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stathamj
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:45 pm    Post subject: Adding Sweeps Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've recently found several dozers, in my price range, that appear to be in good shape. However the problem for me is, since I'll be in timber, I was wanting sweeps and none of these have them. My guestion is; Should I keep looking for one that already has sweeps installed or buying one without them and sdding them later? I guess you can add them after the fact. I guess I'd have to see what the cost would be. I'm thinking to just keep looking. Any thoughts on thi? Thank you.

James

armand tatro
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 6:54 am    Post subject: Re: Adding Sweeps Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What are sweeps and what is their function? Any pictures of a dozer with sweeps? Armand

Pops1532
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: Adding Sweeps Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If I was in the market for a dozer sweeps or the lack there of would not be a factor if I found a machine that was in good shape. Add them later if you need them. Just be sure you have a qualified welder do the work so the ROPS isn't compromised.

Billy NY
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:00 am    Post subject: Re: Adding Sweeps Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think they could easily be added especially if the tractor had the option to have them, meaning its got mounts or good places to fasten/attach.

Here is a local 450C that would be worth checking out if I needed one this size, 16k, not a bad price, small tractor but still very useful in the right hands.
Case 450C

Billy NY
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 8:08 am    Post subject: Re: Adding Sweeps Reply to specific post Reply with quote

See above, some call them limb risers, helps displace things that could knock the exhaust stack off, or similar. They usually have a package installed on the tractor, limb risers, brush cage screens and so on, also engine side curtains, belly pans, all needed if you work in harsh terrain, brush or similar. Even then you can get stuck with protruding sticks or cut off brush, nasty work at times you have to really watch, go slow til things are cleared.

I pulled a vine somehow with my D7 while heading down a steep incline, I had cut and severed everything by hand prior to, chainsaw, loppers etc, and don't you know a cut off dead piece of elm came up and nailed me right in the side of the head, but hard, lucky I have thick skull, man that hurt, like getting whacked by a piece of 4x4, of course this was an old open station, they don't belong in the brush, me of all people would know since I was an operator full time for almost 5 years, worked in all this stuff before, miss one thing and you are not protected, it will get you. Where that piece came from and how it got to me I'll never know, I had to set the blade down and take a breather, was headed down to get a stuck tractor out.

Stick welding

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: Adding Sweeps Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Working in bush is unpredictable. The canopy on my loader has saved me a couple times when trees broke further up and fell backwards. I've also had a couple branches come out of nowhere and slap me.

Billy NY
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Adding Sweeps Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've done a lot of clearing, well lets say punching through narrow roads with my 850 ford and the loader, when doing this you can see the potential of lethal or highly injurious things that could happen, or many combinations thereof, sometimes its just better to get out the tools, chainsaw or what have you.

Crookedwrench
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding Sweeps Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When I bought this D4 it already had a heavy cab with side screens. I bought a 20' piece of tubular steel and a local welder helped me fabricate these sweeps. I had about 18' of steel left over. We spent all day building/fabricating the sweeps. It wasn't cheap---but I appreciate them.

Crookedwrench
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 14, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding Sweeps Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here is the photo second try!

Kurt F. Cordes
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2013 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Adding Sweeps Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have owned and operated heavy equip.all of my life.Example,7 years on the Great Alaskan Pipe Line.Ok,take it from an old timer," a ROPS and sweeps is the cheapest life insurance you can have or buy.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Crawlers, Dozers, Loaders and Backhoes All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.