Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

OT? cracks

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tomturkey
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:05 am    Post subject: OT? cracks Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Anyone have a remedy (tool) for splitting cracking skin by your finger nails. Mine have always done this, but the cold weather really makes it worse. II've tried super glue and all kinds of lotins. What are your experiences and cures. thanks gobble

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: OT? cracks Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have been having the same problems and tried some O'Keeffe's Working hands hand cream and so far it sure seem to be helping. Most of the smaller cracks are going away and the bigger ones are getting smaller

Tech 7
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: OT? cracks Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have used Vaseline, Vitamin E salve, Udder Balm and others. Brothers hands used to get so bad he would lather them in vaseline and put on a pair of cotton gloves and wear them to bed.
I am thinking you work outside a lot? Mine have been better since I stopped milking cows.

dino in iowa
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: OT? cracks Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Vitamin E cream found in most drug stores

Determined
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: OT? cracks Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Suffered the same problem for years. There were days skin was so dry I could make a fist and my knuckles would crack and start to bleed.
Installed a water softener several years ago and the problem is gone 100 percent gone.

Ted in NE-OH
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: OT? cracks Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Best thing I know of is Bagbalm (udder cream) it is rich in lanolin.

smallercrawler
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: OT? cracks Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Same miserable finger skin cracking for a long time, predominantly in winter months. Have used heated Vick's VapoRub "slathered on" and latex gloves overnight; the gloves also force hands to sweat, thereby providing more moisture and opening pores for better Vick's penetration. Works better than the numerous other things I've tried over the years. Good luck.

State of Jefferson
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: OT? cracks Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Working Hands Cream- as was mentioned is my go-to. And super glue if I do end up with a split.

Ben

RayP(MI)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:14 pm    Post subject: Re: OT? cracks Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As tomturkey sez, bag balm (udder ointment). Am told by my local hardware store that they sell far more of it than the amount of local cows would account for.. Also have had some success with super glue. Lasts a couple days, and either healed or needs another application. Have SG on my thumb right now.

rabbit
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: OT? cracks Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Another good hand lotion is CORN HUSKERS. Mostly glycerine.

Wile E
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: OT? cracks Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use olive oil to solve that dry hand problem. I have cracks on the ends of my middle fingers. What a PITA. Especially when you bump your finger and it feels like getting poked with a needle.
I have actually cut the scab portion out to allow it to regrow. Doesn't always work though.

Tim Cox

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: OT? cracks Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have used the O'Keefes working hands for over two years now . works really well for me. have used about all of the home remedies heard on here.This Products seems To Work really well.

tractor300

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: OT? cracks Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I use Udderly Smooth cream. It comes in a white container with black Holstein spots on it. Available at most stores in our area. Works good if used regularly. If I do get an open crack, I use a triple antibiotic ointment and keep wrapped for several days. Usually does the trick.

john in Utah
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: OT? cracks Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Two suggestions:
1. Wear latex (vinyl, etc.) gloves when working around oil, grease. They dry your skin and the cleaners you use to remove them dry even more.

2. Apply "Atrac-Tain Cream moisturizer" (expensive and found only in pharmacies, but works like nothing else I've tried). Next best: Amlactin lotion(also found in pharmacies)

These are go-to's for nurses/docs who wash their hands many times a day (wife is a nurse).

Ranchingelec
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: OT? cracks Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Drinking more water helps a lot to. Hydrates the skin.....

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters