Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Cutting salvaged flat glass for a scrach built cab

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adirondack case guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:15 pm    Post subject: Cutting salvaged flat glass for a scrach built cab Reply to specific post Reply with quote

OK guys,
I started this project back in 1992. Work and cutting forewood every weekend to heat our house put the project on hold, until I retired the spring of this year. During the summer I built and filled a woodshead that houses 17 full cord of wood to heat our house and my shop.
Anyway, back to my question. When I started fabing the cab, we had an auto glass shop that took care of all our window needs when we were a Case dealer. ( we closed in 1986). They are also gone now.
Over the years I have accumilated a lot of flat glass windows from tractor and truck cabs.
CAN I cut this old glass with a 4.5" grinder with a steel cutoff wheel, to fit my windows, and then fit them with the salvaged rubber moldings that I have saved also?
Loren, the Acg.

Zachary Hoyt
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Cutting salvaged flat glass for a scrach built cab Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have cut regular 1/8" house window glass with a hand glass cutter, but I know that won't work on "safety" glass. I'll be interested to see the responses to this thread.
Zach

DiyDave

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Cutting salvaged flat glass for a scrach built cab Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Never seen safety glass successfully cut. I would add metal to the frame, and use a smaller panel!

BigMarv1085
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Cutting salvaged flat glass for a scrach built cab Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have cut some 1/8 glass but it is not that easy. Try looking on you tube

Jim in Ma.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Cutting salvaged flat glass for a scrach built cab Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No - Safety glass must be cut first and then treated.

baldwin racing
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Cutting salvaged flat glass for a scrach built cab Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Loren,
where I work we are next to a glass company and we know the guys well and have a good relationship with them.....If I get time I will go over and ask them for you how you can cut safety glass.....

kelly

Hal/ Eastern WA
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Cutting salvaged flat glass for a scrach built cab Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think I would use plexiglass, or maybe polycarbonate, or something like that. Fairly easy to machine and not too expensive, yet relatively hard to break. Yeah,I know it scratches. I would try gluing it in somehow--maybe automotive butyl windshield sealer?

There has to be some way of making smaller laminated safety glass windows out of larger pieces. Have you researched cutting safety glass on the internet? I would wonder if there might be some kind of a bandsaw blade with diamond dust that might work with water cooling, but it might be WAY expensive.

Probably the best answers would come from a company that regularly deals with replacing flat glass windows in machinery. Would they work on your old glass? Hard to say. Good luck, it looks like a neat project.

Bob Bancroft
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Cutting salvaged flat glass for a scrach built cab Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you get no satisfactory information I can get for you the name and number of the local glass shop guy here(Auburn) who does mine. I bought(through him) a whole box of molding, so I would have the right stuff.

retired farmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Cutting salvaged flat glass for a scrach built cab Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would see if I could find a glass shop that would be interested in doing it. I think you can cut glass with a diamond wheel. You would have to be careful and not overheat the glass or it would crack. Been a long time since I been in a glass shop and don't remember what all they told me about working with it.

Russ from MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Cutting salvaged flat glass for a scrach built cab Reply to specific post Reply with quote

One time I took and old piece of automotive glass over to a friends house, he was going to help me cut it. We scored both sides real well and then started tapping on it, pretty soon it exploded, there were pieces all over no bigger than a dime, what a mess!

GordoSD
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Cutting salvaged flat glass for a scrach built cab Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I cut hundreds of flat laminated safety glass for the windshields of the 40's and 50's cars.
It 's so simple a 15 year old can do it (me)in 1955.
Use simple glass cutting tool and cut one side to transferred pattern.
Flip glass trace pattern and cut second side. Break glass on both sides.Use metal oil can with alcohol in it. spray some, burn some. The laminate will melt and you can pull off the scrap.
Grind and buff smooth with appropriate wheels.
Local shop cut and polished a windshield from tinted safety plate for my Suzuki Samurai in about 30 minutes.

Adirondack case guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Cutting salvaged flat glass for a scrach built cab Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hal, plexiglas scraches and not an option for me. BTDT.
Loren, the Acg.

Adirondack case guy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Cutting salvaged flat glass for a scrach built cab Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Golrdo,
Sounds like the answer I am looking for. I still have some questions though. I have experience cutting iregular shapes in regular window glass, but not saftey glass.
My e-mail is open, and hope you could elaborate a bit more there.
Thanks, Loren

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Cutting salvaged flat glass for a scrach built cab Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it is safety glass or tempered glass you have to have the know how and the tools to do it or you will have some very small window glass on your hands since it will break into many small pieces

evilboweivel
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 23, 2013 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Cutting salvaged flat glass for a scrach built cab Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Lexan would work good for that
pricey,

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters