Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bobcat Trailer

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve@Advance
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:45 pm    Post subject: Bobcat Trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My boss bought a well used Bobcat skid-steer loader with a custom trailer. This appears to be the trailer the Bobcat came with, looks to have started life as a rental unit.

This trailer sits low to the ground, and has short ramps, about 3 ft. long, that fold down for loading and unloading.

Putting the loader on the trailer is a terrifying experience! All of us are novices at operating this, and even with the bucket extended fully forward, it feels like it is really wanting to roll over backward!

I don't think it can go over on flat ground, but with the rear wheels near the top of the ramps, the counterweight would go down between the ramps and sure looks like it could go all the way over.

Has anyone else experienced this? I can't believe something this dangerous would have been turned loose as a rental unit! Or are we just being paranoid?

We.re looking at making some longer ramps, maybe a one piece ramp that would catch the counterweight, just in case... But that would be getting really heavy.

Any ideas?

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Bobcat Trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Back it on?

6BT
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Bobcat Trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Back it on? Or sell iy and buy a tilt deck trailer.

jon f mn
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Bobcat Trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The trailer was most likely designed to have the loader backed on. With most of those small trailers they are not long enough to get the load forward far enough if you drive the loader on. Backing is how I've always done it. Had a couple customers I built trailers for that insisted on driving them on. It was a huge pain to make a trailer that that would work on.

dcarp
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Bobcat Trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'll second the back on, that 's the only way I've seen them loaded. I've hauled them on my gooseneck trailer that has the deck about 36" tall, just back up the ramps and go.

320B
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 9:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Bobcat Trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You want it backed on anyway to get more tongue weight. If you have a short trailer with not enough tongue weight it will push the back of the truck all over the place when your driving down the road.

Harry

just another old geezer
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Bobcat Trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The owners manual for my Bobcat says "load heavy end up". I back it on normally, drive it on with the backhoe attached.

Dan T in MO
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 2:34 am    Post subject: Re: Bobcat Trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Back it up the ramps.

Steve@Advance
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:26 am    Post subject: Re: Bobcat Trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I need to take another look at the trailer, but I don't think it's designed to be backed on. There is an angle iron stop at the front that the bucket hooks into. The trailer pulls well, has good tongue weight. Afraid backing it on will be way tonge heavy, but I'm going to look into it.

Thanks everyone.

George Marsh
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:36 am    Post subject: Re: Bobcat Trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I get the tape measure out. Measure the distance from top of rear tire to the wheelwell. I shoot for between 5/8-3/4 inch compression of rear suspension when loading trailer. Too much toung weight is a bad feeling. Negative toung weight is a major NO, NO.

Wilks54
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Bobcat Trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've loaded a lot up and down many trailers. It's hard to tip one over backwards. Are the front wheels even coming up off the ramps when you load it? A lot of times it feels like a big incline, but it's not that bad and the front wheels never come up off the ramps.

todd hamilton
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:24 am    Post subject: Re: Bobcat Trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

find a little ditch or depression and back the trailer into it so the ramps are more level. Since you have a bobcat you can make one Smile

howdy1960
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: Bobcat Trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I third the back on method

Stick welding

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Bobcat Trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bobcats should be backed up when loading on the trailer. The only thing worse than tipping back on the frame when loading, is doing it while backing off the trailer at the job site and having the customer see it and wonder if he hired the right person??? It's actually pretty hard to roll over backwards but if you're new to a skid steer, it scares the %^&$# out of you! Even scarier is tipping forward with the bucket raised and a full load of wet clay. If you don't have a full width seat bar, wear the seat belt at all times. It could save your life. On flat ground, lift the machine up with the bucket as high as you can to get used to doing wheelie's. Then you won't panic as much when it accidentally happens. You always put the heavy end first going up a hill. Going up a hill with an empty bucket will tip backwards too. 1/2 a bucket is usually sufficient to balance it out.

T in NE
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 03, 2014 8:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Bobcat Trailer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As long as you don't spin out you should be good. If you can, park facing downhill. Makes the ramps less steep. Doesn't take much.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.