Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sick calf

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BigMarv1085
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:37 am    Post subject: Sick calf Reply to specific post Reply with quote

got a sick 150# calf. Gave him a shot of Liquamycin LA-200 last night. He has white mucus around his nostrils so probably pneumonia. What are you guys treating with?. W

Linkat
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Sick calf Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it is pneumonia I would use Resflor or Nuflor.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Sick calf Reply to specific post Reply with quote

and if he gets the scours after that i'd give him a colostrum pack too.

Bigdaddy4430
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:24 am    Post subject: Re: Sick calf Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Draxen does a great job.

BigMarv1085
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 10:35 am    Post subject: Re: Sick calf Reply to specific post Reply with quote

our weather here is so up and down. It has been around 45 -60 on and off. It has been down in the 20's the last couple of nights. Had 6 inches of ran early last week and another 3 this tuesday. I appreciate all of the information.

Determined
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: Sick calf Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nuflor, expensive but it works.

4010 puller
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Sick calf Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ive heard that draxi n is good stuff. I would ditch the la200 and go with penicillin. Its much stronger and you will give a lot smaller dosage

JD Seller
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 4:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Sick calf Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I switched to Nuflor on anything lighter than 300 LBS here two years ago. I have had good luck with it.

LA 200 and Penicillin you can buy today do not seem to effect the lung bugs like they once did. So it is time to break out the "newer" stuff.

Formerly PaMike
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 5:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Sick calf Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I too use Nuflor over LA200. Used to use LA200 all the times. Sometimes it worked sometimes it didn't. Other times the animal would improve then go backwards. I got some Nuflor and that took care of things. Only downside is you need a prescription...

danofarming
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Sick calf Reply to specific post Reply with quote

5cc of Nuflor IM. 2cc of Draxxin SQ.

5 cc of vitamin B IM. 3cc of Banamine IM. Give him a whole bottle of gatorade with a stomach tube. pray.
or 3cc Nuflor IM per 100 lb body weight. and 1cc of Draxxin SQ per 110 pound body weight.
This combination gives me excellent results.

2 pipe
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 04, 2014 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Sick calf Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have had some luck with Nuflor or Gentosin used along with Banamine or Flunixamine, but I have had better luck using hydrated lime/pickling lime. This will raise the PH in his body quickly killing most bad bacteria and any virus if it's not too far along already. Just mix a half teaspoon in a quart of water or milk, if the calf is in pretty bad shape add some electrolites, and bottle or tube feed this to him once a day for a few days or until he gets noticably better. NOTE, don't tube him if you don't absolutly have to, this makes their throat sore and can compound his problems. You can use hydrated lime alongside any medicine you want to use with no ill effects. Good luck!

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.