Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

D-17 Brake Job

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tim (NY)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject: D-17 Brake Job Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm gaining on it! I have the shoes relined and installed, but now I'm stumped on how to thread the brake rods into the toggles at the bottom of the actuating arm. Its like building a ship in a bottle blindfolded. I can see the thread in the toggle (barely) through the hole in the housing, but not when I try to insert the brake rod. Is there a trick for this? Would it help to tighten the adjustment nut on top all the way down?

gatz
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: D-17 Brake Job Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They can be challenging to start into the hole.

If you have a 5/16 (IIRC) rod or even the shank end of a 5/16 drill, you can align the toggle to the opening in the casting.....then gently move the brake rod end into position and carefully thread it in. Don't cross-thread! If it doesn't readily go in, retry.

Remember to hold your extended tongue at just the right angle, too.

Pecosallis
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: D-17 Brake Job Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes it is a real challenge like he said. If I remember right there is a drain like hole on the bottom of the housing. If you stick your finger up through the hole and towards the squared block you can hold it straight and steady till you screw the treaded rod into it. If the threads are cleaned up before then it should go in pretty easy by hand. Did mine about 2 years ago and it was interesting. good luck.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Allis Chalmers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.