Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

!*%$# bifocals...new lenses. weigh in opinion

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DENNIS MIN
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:37 pm    Post subject: !*%$# bifocals...new lenses. weigh in opinion Reply to specific post Reply with quote

All,

The new lenses I've bought are a real pain. Progressive? I think not. Got a headache to boot.

I think I need another pair with the "hard" line of strength.

Just a rant, I guess. I can't afford another new lens for these frames right now.

I wish I'd have given the hard-visible line lenses more of a chance.

D.

Pitalplace
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: !*%$# bifocals...new lenses. weigh in opinion Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It some time to get used to mine. I would never go the line route now. If it don't get better it might also be a mistake. Talk to the doc.

Goose
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: !*%$# bifocals...new lenses. weigh in opinion Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I never could get used to progressive lenses. On the other hand, my wife gets along great with them.

Guess it's all in what works for ya.

rossow (mn)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: !*%$# bifocals...new lenses. weigh in opinion Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I empathize with your bifocal problems. When I got bifocals, I first tried the progressive lenses and they instantly made me sick (dizzy). I swapped for hard lines, and they also made me dizzy if I look from close-up (e.g., reading) to farther away (e.g., television). I had to give up on both kinds and now create my own bifocals by tipping my regular glasses just right. For really close work, I take off my glasses and can see perfectly. But I wish the bifocals would work for me. (The problem is that I get motion sickness from all kinds of things that normal folks don't even notice.) I wish you better luck. Most people seem OK after an adjustment period.

Chuck (CA)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: !*%$# bifocals...new lenses. weigh in opinion Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Love my Progressives. after wearing them for awhile. It's easier when I go up or down the stairs...and I think there's like 27 gradients from top to bottom. I think you'll like them after you wear them for awhile.

JML755
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: !*%$# bifocals...new lenses. weigh in opinion Reply to specific post Reply with quote

dennis min,
I'd give it some time. Took me a while to get used to them. Now, after cataract surgery and implants, I still wear glasses for reading and close work and even then, it's a pain to get the right distance for a computer screen or labels on equipment. Eye doctor said he could set me up with clear lenses on top with a progressive bi-focal. Not sure if I want to go that route.

Dick L
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: !*%$# bifocals...new lenses. weigh in opinion Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I never had the progressive lenses but have the hard line trifocal lenses. They gave me problems at first but my neck adjusts the head without me knowing it any more. I would think it would work that way on the progressive in time. One exception is lining the tractor drawbar up to an implement. Total PIA.

Rollie NE PA
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: !*%$# bifocals...new lenses. weigh in opinion Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I couldn't get accustomed to the progressive lenses. It seemed like I had to look directly at what I wanted to see, ( limited side vision).
The eye Doc. said it was because of the progressive lenses. Now I wear the line bifocals.

retired farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: !*%$# bifocals...new lenses. weigh in opinion Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Take them back and have them checked. I tried some years ago. Couldn't see with them. Come to find out they made them wrong and they would not line up so you could see.

DiyDave

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: !*%$# bifocals...new lenses. weigh in opinion Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just what my Idoc told me, when I first needed 'em: If you have never worn hardline bifocals, buy the progresives! That's what I did, and I have no headaches, and no complaints. If you wear the progressives long enough, and stick with them, your eyes may adjust. Otherwise, you are stick with the hard lines!

pete 23
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: !*%$# bifocals...new lenses. weigh in opinion Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It somewhat depends on weather you are near sighted or far sighted & if you have been wearing bifocal lenses already. Anyone who can take their glasses off and see better close up is near sighted. That is the opposite of me. I can see at a distance without glasses but not clearly. Up close, I can't read the Farmall on the side of my H tractor.

I have worn trifocals for over thirty years now. Started out with bifocals and graduated to tri focals. All hard line style.

I got the brilliant idea about twenty years ago that progressive would work better. I thought, then I can just raise or lower my head slightly and get the perfect focus at those close ranges. What I found out right away was that the progressive change is also horizontal as well as vertical. In other words, I had to move my head side to side to maintain focus even when reading a line in a book. So, with side to side, up and down it was just more difficult. The actual focal spot was just too small. This of course varies with how strong the correction you need. Mine are on the higher end of strength. I gave up and got my older hard line tri foculs style back. I had a deal with the optometrist, because the progressive cost more, they would not charge me anything if I wanted to go back to hard lines.

They had warned me that it is difficult for someone to change to progressive if they are accustomed to hard lines.

Wife has progressive, only a slight correction in hers but I still see her moving her head trying for that sweet spot. Her problem is double vision and has the full five prizms in each lens. It still does not correct it except at specific distances. Needless to say, she does not drive anymore. (Maybe down to the other end of the farm to pick me up when I am pheasant hunting, closing one eye).

MarkB_MI
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: !*%$# bifocals...new lenses. weigh in opinion Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Give it a few days. If you continue to have problems, take them back. It is fairly common to get glasses where the prescription wasn't properly ground.

gab
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: !*%$# bifocals...new lenses. weigh in opinion Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A couple days should be enough time to adjust. I couldn't see out of my first prog. bifocals, took them back after a couple months, they made a mistake. Went to a real good although expensive eye dr. for about 3 sets of glasses and they were perfect.
Thought I'd try Shoko for the next set and save some money, pure junk, ya get what you pay for.

Geo-TH,In
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: !*%$# bifocals...new lenses. weigh in opinion Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Most places will take back their lenses within 30 days and try to make it right with you. I too headaches with progressives. Even bi-focals wouldn't work for me. What I ended up doing is find the smallest lense so I could easily look below and over them. I'm near-sighted, which most people are. I can see better up close up with no correction. So I found the smallest lenses possible, went to car to see if I could look under them and see instrument panel. The heck with bi-focals and progressives.

Hope this helps.
George

RESLLS
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:56 pm    Post subject: Re: !*%$# bifocals...new lenses. weigh in opinion Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tried the progressive lenses. Couldn't wear them. I have short arm syndrome. Distance is ok. Not enough peripheral vision. Drive truck or at night, just wouldn't work. Took them back and got lined bifocals and some cash back. Tried for 2 weeks.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters