Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Allis chalmers C generator wiring

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darrell Hopper

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:21 am    Post subject: Allis chalmers C generator wiring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a C allis that the generator is not working. Someone removed the lights and light switch and hooked the field wire from the light switch to the negitive side of the amp meter. So there is no voltage control without the light switch. How can I fix the problem without insatlling a light switch? The amp meter is good but I do not know if the generator or cutout relay is good. I do know that when I hook up the battery ground wire that there is a current flow through the generator. If I disconnect the armature wire from the cutout relay the current flow stops. Is this telling me that the relay or generator is bad?

Thank you for your help

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 9:43 am    Post subject: Re: Allis chalmers C generator wiring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

First thing I would do is check battery voltage with it not running then check it with it running. Not running you should have around 6.3 volts and with it running around 7 or so volts

Darrell Hopper

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis chalmers C generator wiring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

After I posted my questions,I removed and disasembled the generator. The generator is fried. I assume that when the lights and switch was removed that there wasn't any voltage control and that must have burnt up the generator.

steve(ill)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis chalmers C generator wiring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The light switch puts a resistor in series with the "F" wire to ground. When the lights are on, it bypasses the resistor and grounds the "F" directly. Grounding the "F" wire is a test to see if the generator is working. You dont need the higher charge all the time. IF you take the light switch out of service, you can add a big resistor on the "F" wire to ground so you get a constant 2-3 amp charge. I think its 3 OHMS, but no guarantee without looking it up.

steve(ill)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis chalmers C generator wiring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The cutout should be open when not in service. When the generator is running and putting out voltage above the battery, the cutout closes and current flows to the battery. If the battery flows backward when off, the cutout is bad.

Ted in NE-OH
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis chalmers C generator wiring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It is fried because someone hooked the field terminal to the amp meter which is at battery voltage. The field only goes directly to GROUND (high charge) or to Ground thru a resistor for (low charge,)

chalmersbob(Pa)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 7:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Allis chalmers C generator wiring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You MUST remove the field wire from the amp meter.
The F wire goes to ground as was stated. If you connect the F wire directly to ground the genny will put out 10+ amps, but grounding through 3 ohm resistor it will charge 2-3 amps. You can do this though a toggle switch. hook the F wire and a 3 ohm resistor to 1 terminal of the switch and a wire from the other terminal and the loose end of the resister to ground. With the switch off the F wire grounds through the resistor. With the switch closed (on) the F terminal is connected directly to ground. Path of least resistance. Bob

darrell Hopper

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:28 am    Post subject: Re: Allis chalmers C generator wiring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank You everyone for your help and knowledge. Now all I have to do is decide whether to install an alternator or find a 6v generator.
I think it will be cheaper to get an alternator but if I find a generator I will have your knowledge to do it correctly.
Thanks again

Bob Bancroft
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 9:31 am    Post subject: Re: Allis chalmers C generator wiring Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Another possibility. I put a D series, 2 brush 12 V gen. and regulator on my C when I got it. Works great.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Allis Chalmers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.