Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Spark plug spacers

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Trapper D
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Spark plug spacers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was spending time with the 8N today and pulled a few plugs just to check them out. They had a lot of oil on them but I have had no problem starting or with fowling of the plugs. I realize there may be bigger issues but was wondering if you could use spacers to hold them out a little farther? I know they make them just did not know how everyone felt about the idea. Just asking. Thanks

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark plug spacers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've used anti-foulers on severely worn engines before.
They work Ok as far as I can tell.
But, if its not fouling the plugs I wouldn't bother for now.
I would buy a new set of Autolite 437 plugs and put them in.
Clean the old ones and keep them as spares.
Rotate and clean as needed.

Trapper D
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark plug spacers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thats what I was planning on. Nice to know that they can be used on these tractors with no problems. Thanks

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark plug spacers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Spark plug anti-foul adapters will work miracles in worn engines that oil foul plugs but there is no reason to use them if your engine is not fouling plugs without them.

I've not bought a set for 20+ years, nor have I seen any for nearly as long.

Anyone know if they are still sold?

Dean

ASEguy
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:10 am    Post subject: Re: Spark plug spacers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They are still available. The old parts store in town has them. I've walked past them for the past ten years.

Maxwell 99
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Spark plug spacers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The last spark plug spacers we bought were from NAPA

Normally they are only used as a temporary bandaid to keep the tractor running until you can tear it down and repair the problem.

used if you have a cylinder that is pumping oil for some reason that shortly kills a spark plug.

The guy at NAPA said to never use them on more than half of the cylinders at any one time.?????

As others have said, ask your auto parts dealer, you may be able to buy hotter plugs that will help keep the plugs clean.

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 5:04 am    Post subject: Re: Spark plug spacers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes, its not uncommon to see them stacked on O2 sensors to get catalytic efficiency codes to pass... Its a poor mans way to prolong the inevitable...

kylemorley
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:04 am    Post subject: Re: Spark plug spacers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Anti-foulers apparently just make the plug act like its a couple steps hotter. I heard the same thing about never using more than 2, but haven't ever heard a convincing reason why not.

BTW for years I ran two anti-foulers on my 8n, which mysteriously had good compression but a lot of oil in the cylinders, with good results - before i started using them, if the engine didn't start in the first few cranks they'd become covered with oil and I'd have to pull the plugs and clean them in gasoline in order to get it to start. However after giving the rings a good MMO soak, and putting in a new set of the "good' plugs (437s?) I was able to remove the antifoulers, and have not used them for a couple years now, and the tractor starts reliably and without fuss all the time now. Though I was going to have to do a ring job but now I think it may last me to the grave without it, as long as the MMO holds out.

Advance stores seem to for some reason have the best selection of anti-foulers at reasonable price.I tend to keep some around since they are useful for other purposes - with a bit of teflon tape, you can force a NPT threaded fitting into the antifouler, tod make all kinds of nifty gadgets.

NOXJohn
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Spark plug spacers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Advance Auto has them, made by Dorman.

NoNewParts
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:52 am    Post subject: Re: Spark plug spacers Reply to specific post Reply with quote

NAPA has them on the wall all the time here.
surprisingly, AutoZone even has them back on that wall
of small 'help' parts

I use em on old junk that ain't worth fixing or are on the list to be fixed.
Like the other poster, they are also handy to quick-make something without ruining the head threads.
I jammed a pipe fitting into one to run a hose
straight down on a Farmall that had a broken piston skirt.
Just so I could move it around til I fixed it.
Shoulda seen the oil blowing out of that hose......

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.