Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Foot Throttle Details and Pictures...

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wilsonsk
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:46 pm    Post subject: Foot Throttle Details and Pictures... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Does someone have good pictures and description of the foot throttle? I'd like to fab my own up but need to know what parts I need to make and where they go.

Thanks in advance!

Steve

Greg_Ky
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2014 9:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Foot Throttle Details and Pictures... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

follow the link
Poke Here

wilsonsk
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:30 am    Post subject: Re: Foot Throttle Details and Pictures... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks Greg,

I'm really looking for the details on the linkage and how it interacts with the hand throttle.

Can someone that has one installed share installation instructions or good pictures of the linkage?

Thanks!

Steve

Tiger Joe
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Foot Throttle Details and Pictures... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

wilsonsk wrote:
(quoted from post at 08:30:36 01/15/14)
Thanks Greg,

I'm really looking for the details on the linkage and how it interacts with the hand throttle.

Can someone that has one installed share installation instructions or good pictures of the linkage?

Thanks!

Steve

I have one from red rock, just got it. Honestly you should spend the $$ and buy the one from him. Its a great piece.

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 5:27 am    Post subject: Re: Foot Throttle Details and Pictures... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There used to be sort of a gentlemen's agreement here where no one would post photos of the Zane Thang. The reason being that it was so marvelously simple it could easily be copied and that would be an injustice to Zane's genius and proprietory interest.
I would say the same ought to apply to the repop foot feed from Red Rock. I've met Phil the owner and found him to be a decent, hard working, creative individual. He took an item for which the patent and availability are long gone and brought it back to the market.
That's a good thing and he should be rewarded for it.
If there is money to be made from selling those food feeds and other historic N add ons I hope he makes it.
I personally would not post photos which could only stand to cut into his interest.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:37 am    Post subject: Re: Foot Throttle Details and Pictures... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

would your views be different if it was a complete home brew idea?

wilsonsk
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: Foot Throttle Details and Pictures... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I understand the desire protect his interest here, but the reality of it is I'm going to make one myself either way. My approach will always be to do what I can myself and buy what I can't. A large part of that is being raised by depression dirt farmers who's only option was if you break, you make it. I am protecting my own interest by making what I can, spending my time vs. my money, in the interest of spending my money (of which I don't have a limitless supply) on what I absolutely have to (like more tractors). We could say the same thing about every mechanic's shop, they are good at what they do, so we should preserve their interest by giving them our patronage, yet most of us by far do our own work. Many places you can draw this line.

So, regardless if I get any answers here or not, I'll figure out a way to do this and it will work and I will learn by doing so. Just thought I'd ask.

Thanks,

Steve

Tiger Joe
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: Foot Throttle Details and Pictures... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

wilsonsk wrote:
(quoted from post at 14:40:58 01/15/14)
I understand the desire protect his interest here, but the reality of it is I'm going to make one myself either way. My approach will always be to do what I can myself and buy what I can't. A large part of that is being raised by depression dirt farmers who's only option was if you break, you make it. I am protecting my own interest by making what I can, spending my time vs. my money, in the interest of spending my money (of which I don't have a limitless supply) on what I absolutely have to (like more tractors). We could say the same thing about every mechanic's shop, they are good at what they do, so we should preserve their interest by giving them our patronage, yet most of us by far do our own work. Many places you can draw this line.

So, regardless if I get any answers here or not, I'll figure out a way to do this and it will work and I will learn by doing so. Just thought I'd ask.

Thanks,

Steve

Steve,

I think the thing here is "why reinvent the wheel?" I would fancy to wager than unless you value your time at less than $10/hr, the time spent to design and fabricate a working foot throttle will far out weigh the cost of simply purchaseing the one from red rock.

also, if we continue to support red rock, who knows what else he might start manufacturing?

to answer your question, the foot throttle should allow the hand throttle to operate independently (like original) So you would need to design a method for the foot throttle to pull the linkage while at the same time not interferring with the hand throttle

wilsonsk
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Foot Throttle Details and Pictures... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That's a valid point Joe, but I'll counter with a couple things, I do value my time at less than $10/hour in this case, because it's my time, my tractor, not to mention I take a lot of enjoyment out of solving problems like this and taking on a challenge.

Regarding "why reinvent the wheel?", I'll counter that with, who knows what I may come up with in the process of doing this myself that may help everyone as well. If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.

I get the functional requirements of the foot feed, was just looking for generally how it's done.

I'll also throw in, that like many here, my time is waaaaaaaaaaaaayy more plentiful than my money these days.

Thanks,

Steve

Tiger Joe
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: Foot Throttle Details and Pictures... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

wilsonsk wrote:
(quoted from post at 15:03:54 01/15/14) That's a valid point Joe, but I'll counter with a couple things, I do value my time at less than $10/hour in this case, because it's my time, my tractor, not to mention I take a lot of enjoyment out of solving problems like this and taking on a challenge.

Regarding "why reinvent the wheel?", I'll counter that with, who knows what I may come up with in the process of doing this myself that may help everyone as well. If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.

I get the functional requirements of the foot feed, was just looking for generally how it's done.

I'll also throw in, that like many here, my time is waaaaaaaaaaaaayy more plentiful than my money these days.

Thanks,

Steve

Good luck in your endeavers. I have the problem or no time or money, so i have to decide which is more valuable. I'd probably i am one of the younger guys on this site with an N.

as far as you actually designing one, I think the biggest challenge is going to be turning the "push" of a pedal in the "pull" of the throttle.

and a final thought about time- they say given an infinite amount of time a monkey could write the works of shakespeare- but im certainly glad William himself did it first!

wilsonsk
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Foot Throttle Details and Pictures... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Fair enough Joe.

I'll let you know how it goes, my bullheadedness in matters such as this never prevents me from accepting an "I told you so" when deserved. My failures are never the result of not trying. I'll keep you posted.

Thanks again,

Steve

...and in fairness.....this is a bit of a Haiku compared to Shakespeare.....and Bob Newhart tested the theory with the monkees, the amount of time required was not sufficient.

...also, Henry Ford's first endeavor in the auto making industry was thwarted by a group of investors headed by Henry Leland, then-owner of the Lincoln Motor Company.....

Kirk-NJ
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Foot Throttle Details and Pictures... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In reading your post I'm not sure what tractor it is for. I assume it was for the N tractor? If so I haven't made one for the N tractor so i can't be of help. Should you deside to make your own I hope you will share the information with the rest of us.

Kirk

wilsonsk
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 12:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Foot Throttle Details and Pictures... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This is for a '49 8N, and I will post results. I have a 1930 Erskine with both hand an foot throttle, I'll use that as a point of reference as well.

Kirk, what have you made them for?

Thanks,

Steve

Kirk-NJ
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Foot Throttle Details and Pictures... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hundred and thousand light industrial series. I have made detail drawing with measurements available for free to members of this site. you can look it up in the ford section.
I was contacted by Phil,RedRock, and I spend him my original so he can produce them.
I will be putting a set on my newly acquired 871 gold demo. I had a set on my 671,841 and 4000 series. They work great on the SOS. Soundguy has a set on one of his tractors as well as other people on this forum.
I have not made one for the N tractor. Even though I still have a half dozen or so of them I don't use them as much as I do the hundred and early thousand series.
It will not interfear with the hand throttle. you can use either or.

kirk

jon
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2014 1:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Foot Throttle Details and Pictures... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ultradog MN wrote:
There used to be sort of a gentlemen's agreement here where no one would post photos of the Zane Thang. The reason being that it was so marvelously simple it could easily be copied and that would be an injustice to Zane's genius and proprietory interest.
I would say the same ought to apply to the repop foot feed from Red Rock.

Even though there were no laws broke or patents infringed, I just wish he had shown Zane that same respect.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.