Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

How can I brighten up a factory paint job?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Digsandfarms

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:40 am    Post subject: How can I brighten up a factory paint job? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi fellows, I have a nice original jet 3 super with factory paint. It has a layer if heavy grime on the sheet metal. Over the years it has faded from bright yellow to a dull orange tint. The worst if it is around the muffler on top of the hood. The power washer does not seem to cut through it very well. I have heard buffing with bug and tar remover works well. I also heard a bit of linseed oil can cut the grime. Does anyone have any pointers on this? I really want to keep it original, but I don't want to ruin the paint by experimenting with chemical cleaners. The tractor has been in the family since new. I use it on a box grader and seeder. Very handy little tractor.

Alan K
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:48 am    Post subject: Re: How can I brighten up a factory paint job? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think there were some sugguestions in another forum about just that. Ive used rubbing compound but Im sure there are other things that work well.

Triple L Paints
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: How can I brighten up a factory paint job? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I dont use rubbing compond as it is too coarse, a good polishing compound works well, used to use "old #7 brand" but hard to find that now. I have had good luck wet sanding the typical rust on the white bands of my tractors with very VERY fine grit wet sand paper and dip it in soapy water often, just have to be very delicate.

Superpicker
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: How can I brighten up a factory paint job? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

On a tractor that had some real chalky and dead paint, just with some elbow grease and careful scrubbing beforehand, we helped it some. I used rubbing compound and then a cleaner wax. Came out better than before. Tractor looked like it had spent time outside before.

Scout2008
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I brighten up a factory paint job? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My 66 U 302 looked about like yours. I used a cleaner wax that I have used on boats which worked pretty well. My white bands were orange with rust. I used a fine scouring pad, and got it to look pretty good. I would say you did good judging by your after pics.

john B. ne in

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2014 2:59 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I brighten up a factory paint job? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This doesn't apply to this "but", if anyone out there has a tractor with decent paint but looks dull, just buy a few spray cans of clear enamel. After a good power washing, just spray it on everything including the hoses. You won't believe how nice it will look! That plus fresh paint on the rims will also help.

G1050
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: How can I brighten up a factory paint job? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I always grab the foam buffer with 3M HD rubbing compound. Follow up with a cleaner wax and she is good to go. Got to be careful of the radius edges and other thin spots though.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Minneapolis Moline All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.