Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

430 tune up

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brian stanek
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: 430 tune up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

workin on my 430 with the 148 gas engine. sonn as i complete all the steering repairs, i will be tunning it up. my manual is not great but as i read it it says to time no.1 to 25 degrees BTC. at 1750 RPM, is that correct i have a lite and would prefer to use it. the plugs are champion D-6 is that correct?

oldproudvet
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: 430 tune up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

All they're asking is that you time at maximum advance. Much more accurate and important than static or timeing at idle. That rpm is where the engine is working, cylinder pressures the highest and timing most important. This method eliminates wear and sluggishness with your centrifical adance unit in the distributor. Idle speed has no loading, lightest cylinder pressures and you'd never catch advance problems. With your timing light watch the advance move smoothly up to max advance at 1750. If it's not smooth, pull the shaft out of the distributor and closely look at it for wear and gum (most common). Being able to run it on a distributor test machine is really neat. No one does that anymore. Some of us older pharts keep this test eqpt and it's invaluable with our older stuff.

C. Amick
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 10:04 am    Post subject: Re: 430 tune up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think the spark plugs should be Champion D16 commercial spark plugs. We always used Champion Spark Plugs in our tractors when I was growing up. Now I use mostly autolite. Sorry, I don"t know what the Autolite number would be.

Joe (Wa)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: 430 tune up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

C. Amick is right on factory plug Champion D16, for the 430 ag & utility tractor, now sold by Napa as 516.

The equivalent in Autolite is 386, a much better plug in my opinion. Some guys here recommend the hotter plug Autolite 3116.

Joe

Klyde
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 1:48 pm    Post subject: Re: 430 tune up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If your going to use champs, use D-18Y"s. That"s what all mine get. Extended tips don"t foul as fast with this crap gasoline.

Chuck MA
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2014 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 430 tune up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

JOe 3116 is non-resistor equivalent to 386 (not exact is slightly hotter) use them in cubs as well 310 i think.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.