Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Harbor Freight Question...

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
steve terplak
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 2:40 pm    Post subject: Harbor Freight Question... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey guys...
in the harbor freight ad today...saw a personal use sawmill...$1800 bucks...with some of the coupons you could find, could get it for less...
says it'll do a 22" log...

i have always wanted a sawmill, i have some local mills, amish and otherwise, that I go to...but have always wanted the freedom of having a mill to use every now and again when I need/want some lumber.

Anyone own one of these or ever use one?
I would love a woodmizer or other bigger brand but can't justify the price for what I want it for...

just curious, hadn't seen these before.

Randy Shoe
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight Question... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm sure the mill from harbor freight would be of great quality. I would purchase it and call your milling company, Thick and Thin Lumber Co. It would be appropriate for the quality of boards it made.

sflem849
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight Question... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Contrary to what Randy shares with the world, HF can make some adequate tools. Read their online reviews. People hold NOTHING back in the reviews. But also keep in mind that the only time people take the time to go give a review is when it is a bad one. Just because a product has a few bad reviews doesn't mean it is junk.

Zachary Hoyt
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight Question... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you can swing it and think you willl use it enough to be worth the money I would look at a Turner mill. They are made in Norwich NY and the ground model can be had around $4500 last I knew. We have had one for a bit over 6 years and it has paid for itself many times over. The frame is really strong and the whole machine is well built. We looked at lots of mills and the Turner was by far the most mill for the money that we found.
Zach

dahlin
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight Question... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I used to have a L15 Wood Miser and if you were not very particular on how you set it up it would not cut right. It did cut very well if you had it level and adjusted right. Keep in mind running a small mill is very physical. If you have a bad back it may not be for you. I'm sure the Harbor Freight mill will cut fine if it is set up right.

steve terplak
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight Question... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Lol, I like the name...maybe there is a niche market for inconsistent lumber

steve terplak
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight Question... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I couldn't find much for reviews...I didn't look too hard
Just curious if anyone had used one...certainly no dreams of
being a commercial mill...but if it is decent $1500 is a small
price

JGayman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight Question... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Go to YouTube and search for "Harbor Freight sawmill", there are several videos that you may find informative.

DiyDave

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight Question... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Read your coupons, HF doesn't honor coupons on some of the bigger ticket items. Other than that, go for it, main thing to consider will be finding replacement blades. If you need help finding them, give me a yell. The good thing about a bandsaw is that blades can be welded to almost any length.

Ivan in Mich
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight Question... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If any bandsaw mill is not set up right you can get thick and thin lumber. I had a Wood Mizer and ran it for 15 years. One little thing goes out of wack or a bad blade and you will get thick and thin lumber. As far as blades any place that sells blade will make the to whatever length you want. When HF first started selling sawmills they were made by I think Norwood. But that may have been so the chinese could get a pattern. I knew a guy that had one of those and it worked great if you were into physical work.
Some guys hook a battery drill to the feed and it worked ok

Richard G.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight Question... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a Turner mill. It was made in the 1950's and has a 42 foot track. A big circular blade. I guess that is not the same Turner. Mine was made in NC.
Richard in NW SC

tractor300

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight Question... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You could call it primitive and it would be worth a fortune.

Zachary Hoyt
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight Question... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ours is a bandsaw mill, made in 2007 by Bill Turner. It has only a 20 foot track but it cuts a 17 foot log. Ours is the type on the right.
Zach
Turner Mills

Russ from MN
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight Question... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Our local sawmill used to be called Wane and Warp!

Stephen Newell
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Harbor Freight Question... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

From all I have heard the Harbor Freight portable saw mill will work, it just cuts slow.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.