Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

adding threads to bolt

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ted in NE-OH
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:06 pm    Post subject: adding threads to bolt Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm replacing the front axle pivot bolt on an AC G. I may have to add additional threads to a 3/4" bolt. If the bolt were a grade 5 or 8 would this be hard to do? May need only 1/2" more threads.

gtractorfan
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: adding threads to bolt Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No way- other than grinding.

Welding man
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: adding threads to bolt Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Never had a problem on grade 5. Sometimes 8's an be a little tough unless you have really good Dies.

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: adding threads to bolt Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I do it all the time.
Just run a die on it to where you need it. Keep oil on it and work the die back and forth to keep the chips broken off. Easier then starting new threads because they are already started straight.

D beatty
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 1:53 pm    Post subject: Re: adding threads to bolt Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Like said by other it can be done. Use a good set of dies and use plenty of thread cutting oil and as you cut keep running die back and forth.

gtractorfan
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: adding threads to bolt Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Reason I said "no way" is, once I ruined a metal cutting bandsaw blade by trying to saw a grade 8 bolt (didn't look at marks on the bolt head).

Welding man
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: adding threads to bolt Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There again, It has to do with the quality of the tool . I have blades that will cut them with no problem. The cheap Bi-metal ones won't. Back to the old saying you get what you pay for. I have some solid carbide drill bits that will drill about anything, but don't even ask what they cost.

Mike(NEOhio)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: adding threads to bolt Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Go with a grade 5. 8 would be better but you will probably ruin your die. Gs aren't too heavy on the front. The thread on bolts are rolled on and with that work-hardens the G-8s, especially where the thread runs out.

Dusty MI
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: adding threads to bolt Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Most bolts the threads are rolled not cut, so the shank of the bolt OD. is smaller than the OD. of the threads.

Dusty

DiyDave

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:13 pm    Post subject: Re: adding threads to bolt Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Grade 5 or 8, don't matter, a good quality die should easily cut the requisite # of threads. Be sure to lube the object being threaded with cutting oil, or hog lard, if you can't find the cutting oil.

tractor300

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:25 pm    Post subject: Re: adding threads to bolt Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes lard, it works good. That's all Dad ever used. Must be good as I have his old tap & die set that I know is over 70 year's old, and it still cuts excellent.

ss55
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: adding threads to bolt Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can look up the hardness of bolts. If I remember correctly Grade 8 bolts can be close to Rockwell 30 hardness. You could probably buy the proper length bolt online and have it delivered to you sometime next week for around $5.

Could you stack some flat washers under the nut or under the bolt head so you could use the longer bolt without modifying it? That would retain the full strength of the bolt.

As others have said, bolt threads are roll formed before heat treating. Cutting longer threads on a bolt does work, but it introduces stress risers that weaken the bolt. In an application where there can be a lot of shock I would try to avoid using a modified bolt, or have a plan to replace it before it breaks.

Ted in NE-OH
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: adding threads to bolt Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks guys, that is what I wanted to know

Jiles
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: adding threads to bolt Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would find a machinist and have them turn additional threads on a lathe.
If you decide to thread with a die--Nut Dies are not designed to cut new threads, even in standard steel. They are designed to "clean up threads".
Just use the correct die.

Chris(WA)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: adding threads to bolt Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Can you get some b-7 all thread and make you own?

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.