Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

split galvanized water pipe

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tg in VA
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:33 am    Post subject: split galvanized water pipe Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When the thaw came yesterday, one of my glavanized water lines split. It's a 3/8" piece about 6" long (the pipe, not the split) that comes off a "T" and connects to an "L". It's in the ceiling in the dog trot (breezeway) of an 80 year old house.

I'm not plumber and until I can get one next week, I've had to shut the water off.

Is there a temporary patch for galvanized pipe?
As it's in the middle of the system, I'm afraid if I cut it to screw the piece out of the T and EL, I won't be able to replace it as tightening it into the T would loosen it at the EL and vice versa.

Everything's pretty rigid where this pipe is so I don't know about trying two short pieces with one of those unions in the middle.

I had a split on a 1/2" piece before the "T" and cut it at the split and fixed it with a compression fitting. I don't think I've got the flexibility with this other piece to do the same plus the split is almost to the threads on one end. The split is about 1" long.

You guys always seem to come up with simple solutions to the most obscure problems...I'm hoping you have some ideas here to get me through until next week.

Thanks

hoof print
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: split galvanized water pipe Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Shark bite fittings. Put a shark bite to pipe thread adapter at each end, then a piece of plastic pipe to replace the split galvanized.

And then insulate to make sure it won't freeze again

tractor300

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: split galvanized water pipe Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Depends on the size of the split. If it is small, I have wrapped numerous layers of duct tape around the pipe for a temporary fix. Will work if not to big. Just make sure pipe is dry and clean before wrapping. I just replaced some copper pipe that had been patched with duct tape that had been there for at least 20 years and had not leaked since I owned the property. May or may not work!!!!

CharlieNJ
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: split galvanized water pipe Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Why not cut the 6" nipple(in two places) then unscrew the butts. Screw a 3/8" pipe to 3/8 hose barb in each end, then use hose clamps to tighten a shot of 3/8 hose between them.

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: split galvanized water pipe Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This is not the best way to do it but I have done it in the past to get by. Buy some automotive heater hose that is that size. Also a tube of silicone sealer. Slit the hose and apply the silicone to the cracked area of the pipe then wrap it with the heater hose and clamp it on with hose clamps. Let ti sit a couple hours. Then turn the water on and you should be good to go

glennster
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: split galvanized water pipe Reply to specific post Reply with quote

check your box box store. home depot sells a saddle type emergency reapir clamp. it is a stainless steel band about 6 inches long that has a thick rubber gasket inside, and a bolt to draw it tight. they are sized to the pipe. you just slide it over the pipe, and tighten the bolt. it compresses the band and stops the leak.

glennster
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:12 am    Post subject: Re: split galvanized water pipe Reply to specific post Reply with quote

here is a link to some
poke here

Paul Janke
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:32 am    Post subject: Re: split galvanized water pipe Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You mentioned a compression coupling, but said the split is close to one end. Cut the bad piece, take out both ends, put in new short nipples with the compression coupler over them. Or take out the broken pipe, put in a PVC nipple which is cut in half with a no hub coupler on one of the ends, then glue and slide the no hub coupler over the joint.

ss55
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: split galvanized water pipe Reply to specific post Reply with quote

To save having the same problem the next time the weather turns cold, have the plumber install a valve with a drain to the line ahead of where it is exposed to cold. That allows you to shut off the line and empty it for the winter.

Most plumbing stores have temorary patch kits that may work until the plumber can fix it. Take a picture of your split to help get the correct kit.

PJH
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: split galvanized water pipe Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What Glennster sez.

rusted nuts

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: split galvanized water pipe Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have also done that old. I always like to re tighting the hose clamps two or three times.

Arnold Layne
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: split galvanized water pipe Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You can replace it with steel if you choose to do so, just use two pieces of pipe with a union in the middle.

Brian Dan
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: split galvanized water pipe Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Install pex. It can take a freezing.

bison
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: split galvanized water pipe Reply to specific post Reply with quote

6" ain't much room to work with.
I would take that piece of pipe out and install 2 elbows with a hose barb in each one and a loop of black poly hose in between.
The poly can stand the freezing.

Two Dogs
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: split galvanized water pipe Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What Glennster sez.
Ditto. TDF

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.