Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tap Lubricants for Aluminum

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
J. Schwiebert
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: Tap Lubricants for Aluminum Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just saw this the other day and now I can not find it. It mentioned a lubricant for tapping aluminum that does not stain aluminum. What am I looking for? Thanks in advance. J.

Handyman
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Tap Lubricants for Aluminum Reply to specific post Reply with quote

WD-40 works pretty good on aluminum for most machining operations. gives a better finish than some other cutting fluids

Wile E
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Tap Lubricants for Aluminum Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There is a product called Tap Magic, for aluminum. Smells bad though. Try Mcmaster Carr on how to purchase it. Aint cheep. Or, Try Kerosene, works good on aluminum. I do not know if it stains or not. Just clean it off if it does.

MarkB_MI
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Tap Lubricants for Aluminum Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Boelube, perhaps?

Don-Wi
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Tap Lubricants for Aluminum Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Every shop I've worked at uses A-9. It's made for aluminum and works great for all machining operations in it.

Comes in a metal can that's a little smaller than a quart. Might come in smaller sizes too but never seen it.

Donovan from Wisconsin

Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Tap Lubricants for Aluminum Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was told to use water, I have never tried it but it would be worth a try.

k6zrx
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Tap Lubricants for Aluminum Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was washing down some aluminum work we did using ZepAlum when the boss decided he wanted to smooth out a few spots. He had an air powered die grinder with a carbide burr. The wetness kept the burr from gumming up. We then ran a small stream of water on the tool and it sure cut a lot better than dry. The only drawback is we got wet, but it was a hot day. Of course don't try with electric tools. We though so highly of this discovery that the next big aluminum job we will rig a little nozzle to the tool.

Josh

KIP in MX
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Tap Lubricants for Aluminum Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ha! You must be an A&P to know about that wonderful pink stuff. I have a jar of it and use it when ever I drill steel.

bison
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: Tap Lubricants for Aluminum Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Diesel fuel works just fine

MarkB_MI
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:03 am    Post subject: Re: Tap Lubricants for Aluminum Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No, I'm not an A&P, Kip, but I do have an experimental aircraft project out in the shop. Gotta get going on that again.

dr sportster
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:23 am    Post subject: Re: Tap Lubricants for Aluminum Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tap Magic for aluminum.

IaGary

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Tap Lubricants for Aluminum Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pam cooking spray is about the best there is.

Gary

El Toro
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Tap Lubricants for Aluminum Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We used regular bar soap. We coated the tap with soap and it worked fine. Hal

Whichester1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 7:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Tap Lubricants for Aluminum Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There are commercial lubricants but we always used kerosene in the shop I worked at. Diesel fuel would work too just smells a little more.

sflem849
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Tap Lubricants for Aluminum Reply to specific post Reply with quote

k6zrx wrote:
(quoted from post at 22:13:37 02/01/14) I was washing down some aluminum work we did using ZepAlum when the boss decided he wanted to smooth out a few spots. ...

dr sportster wrote:
(quoted from post at 07:23:52 02/02/14) Tap Magic for aluminum.

Used both of those in tech school and they seemed to work really well. I don't have a ton of experience tapping Al so I could be way off.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.