Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ever burned your Dad's face with a lightbulb?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DENNIS MIN
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:09 pm    Post subject: ever burned your Dad's face with a lightbulb? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

All,

In the essence of tools, I was the light-holder-upper when it came time for maintenance on the equipment.

My siblings were granted privileges to stay indoors, but I was relegated to holding the light for Dad.

A mouse running on the purlins/girts on the shed walls caught my attention; Dad quickly lost his lighting and soon suffered a scorch-mark on his forehead.

He was not happy. Remarkably, he did not swear.

D.

notjustair
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: ever burned your Dad's face with a lightbulb? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There may have been a time I left dad standing in the barn with a really mad coon while I ran out the door with the flashlight. Hard to know where to shoot when you can't see your hand in front of your face. That's what you get when you always use your youngest son to hit the coon under the pile of boards with the hot shot while you stand over his shoulder with the gun. You want to talk about suspense about making you mess yourself.

international606
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: ever burned your Dad's face with a lightbulb? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

DON"T SHINE IT IN MY EYES!!!!!

DENNIS MIN
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: ever burned your Dad's face with a lightbulb? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I606,

I've heard that throughout my upbringing!

D.

T in NE
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:47 pm    Post subject: Re: ever burned your Dad's face with a lightbulb? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I shot dad in the face with PB Blaster once. Probably an hour before lunch.

Said his sandwich tasted funny. Told him mine was fine so he ate it.

Bout half way through he realized why it tasted funny.

notjustair
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: ever burned your Dad's face with a lightbulb? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

And "HOLD THAT $&@$& THING STILL"!!! I spent so much time concentrating on not moving the light it's a wonder I learned to turn a wrench at all.

Heaven help you if you dropped that trouble light. The bulb would go out and then you had to "high tail it" for the house to get a new one. You were also responsible for burning the finger prints off of three fingers changing it immediately.

Ken-Pa
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: ever burned your Dad's face with a lightbulb? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ha ha ! That brings back some of many memories with my Dad .I was also out of 11 kids , the lite holder , tool fetcher & clean up boy . One evening I went down to my chicken coop with a flashlite to gather eggs & make sure the chickens were ok for the nite . As I reached into one of the nests , I touched a large rat . Out of the coop I went a running to the house . Dad said go get the 22 . Then we went to the chicken coop , me holding a flashlite as Dad slowly entered the coop . I was moving the lite from nest to nest when I spotted the rat . Dad shot & wounded the rat , I pushed Dad out of my way , exited the coop slammed & locked the door . Poor Dads in there with a 22 & a wounded rat yelling & swearing at me . So I opened the door & shined the lite around until he found that rat (dead thank God) . Another time I saw a rat in our basement , Dad came down , snatched that rat off a joist with bare hands & slammed that sucker onto the cement floor . Me , I fear rats , snakes & spiders . God bless, Ken.

Roy Suomi
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: ever burned your Dad's face with a lightbulb? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Never burnt Pop , But I did used to mess with him.. While working under the old Falcon, I would slowly turn the drop light till it was shining in his eyes..

DENNIS MIN
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: ever burned your Dad's face with a lightbulb? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

notjustair,

Dangit!

Were you there! Sounds like your dad and mine had a similar streak.

D.

Mark - IN.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 8:05 pm    Post subject: Re: ever burned your Dad's face with a lightbulb? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There might have been a time or two when Dad was shy a hand, needed to borrow mine as he held whatever and a punch, chisel, or whatever and I missed with the hammer, but not his hand.

Lots of Dad's are and were remarkable people. Bless their souls. Then again, Dad died when I was 10, and then Mom never quit trying to be one of the best dads I ever had to this very day, and I've made her cry a time or two over the years. There oughta be a Merle Haggard song there or so.

Mark

NCWayne
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2014 9:41 pm    Post subject: Re: ever burned your Dad's face with a lightbulb? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Never burned mine with a light, but I did give him a glancing blow with a sledge hammer once...

VernMI

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 3:55 am    Post subject: Re: ever burned your Dad's face with a lightbulb? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Never did that. Dad finally got an electric drill after many years doing the drilling the old way with bit and brace. He was having trouble drilling through several studs for electric wire. I didn't pay much attention until finally he just gave up and went to get his old bit and brace. I went over to look at the new electric drill and he had it set on reverse or CCW rotation. He had drilled (burned) through several studs in reverse.

BAnNC
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: ever burned your Dad's face with a lightbulb? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We Were working in the cellar and coming up, trap door was 1x sawmill cut with X brace, plywood over that and 2 layers of vinyl flooring on that. In otherwords, it was HEAVY. Somehow he got half way up through the floor and it fell on his head. Didn't come up for a while. Didn't knock him out but I'm sure he was looking at stars for a while.

smallercrawler
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: ever burned your Dad's face with a lightbulb? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Never did that, but he always claimed I darn near killed him the first time he had me on the other end of a 6' crosscut saw.

Dean Olson
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: ever burned your Dad's face with a lightbulb? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"""HOLD IT SO IIII CAN SEE NOT SO YOU CAN"""

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.