Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

990 Injector Pump Leak

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Highland
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:10 am    Post subject: 990 Injector Pump Leak Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm new to this Forum but I've had a 990 David Brown for 30 years. It was built in England in 1956 - at least that what it says on the tag.

I've develop a slow drip (leak) on the backside of the Injector Pump housing. It leaks when the tractor is running or when it's not. It leaks a bit more when running. I can't determine exactly where the leak is at because I can't see it.

The tractor runs ok other than the idle is higher than it should be. The main problem is that after the tractor sits for a long period of time I have to bleed the injectors to get to start.

Any help in determining the cause of the leak, and what the solution might be will be appreciated. I've not been able to find a seal/gasket kit.

RGMartin
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:17 am    Post subject: Re: 990 Injector Pump Leak Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The 990 wasn't built till 1965ish. If it is a 56 it would be a 900.

Either way they both have a CAV dpa injector pump. The seal kits are available on eBay and a number of other places(under $50). If it is still a good tractor for you it might be worth the money to have the pump and injectors serviced by a pump shop.

Highland
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: 990 Injector Pump Leak Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'll double check the tag... it may be 1965 instead of 1956.. wouldn't be the first time I made that mistake. Thanks

RGMartin
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 7:09 am    Post subject: Re: 990 Injector Pump Leak Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have never seen a DB tag with a date of manufacture on it. If you get the serial number I can get it close.

1965 would be a red tractor with yellow wheels, 66-73 or so would be white tin/brown chassis, 74-80 white tin, orange chassis.

Al BAker (pumpman)

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: 990 Injector Pump Leak Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Leaks are common on a CAV DPA pump that has seen some age. They are what I call a bomb proof pump that seldom has much trouble,just leaks once in a while. Pull it off and have a shop reseal it. If the pump is leaking on the outside it may start leaking past the drive seal and put diesel in your oil pan. Call around and check on prices. Some shops will hit you hard. I would suggest taking it to someone who can run it on a test stand when done to check it over correctly. buying a kit on ebay isnt allways the best answer. Sometimes a warranty is worth a few extra busks. I usally get $450.00 to reseal the pump and go through the nozzles. Good luck. 231/757/0064

Highland
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:06 am    Post subject: Re: 990 Injector Pump Leak Reply to specific post Reply with quote

RGMartin wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:09:23 02/04/14) I have never seen a DB tag with a date of manufacture on it. If you get the serial number I can get it close.

1965 would be a red tractor with yellow wheels, 66-73 or so would be white tin/brown chassis, 74-80 white tin, orange chassis.

As it turn out I haven't seen a tag on a DB with a date of manufacture on it either. I don't know where I got the date from.
I think I've uploaded a photo that shows the tag off of this tractor and the tag on the Injector Pump. This old tractor is white on brown.

Highland
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: 990 Injector Pump Leak Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Let me try those two picture uploads again.

RGMartin
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: 990 Injector Pump Leak Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It is a 1973 model with a faster than normal gear set. Most common is 10/49.

Last edited by RGMartin on Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Highland
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: 990 Injector Pump Leak Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Al BAker (pumpman) wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:36:03 02/04/14) Leaks are common on a CAV DPA pump that has seen some age. They are what I call a bomb proof pump that seldom has much trouble,just leaks once in a while. Pull it off and have a shop reseal it. If the pump is leaking on the outside it may start leaking past the drive seal and put diesel in your oil pan. Call around and check on prices. Some shops will hit you hard. I would suggest taking it to someone who can run it on a test stand when done to check it over correctly. buying a kit on ebay isnt allways the best answer. Sometimes a warranty is worth a few extra busks. I usally get $450.00 to reseal the pump and go through the nozzles. Good luck. 231/757/0064

Thanks I will do that. I'm a fairly good mechanic but I've never had an Injector pump apart. Wish that I could see where this drip is coming from. I know that it's originating on the back side of the pump but I can't see where.

Speaking of fuel in the crankcase oil pan. I get crankcase oil into the power steering reservoir, especially when the weather is cold. I mean it will fill up the reservoir and overflow. The shaft seal on the power steering pump must be bad and somehow letting the pump suck oil out of the crankcase. I probably should start another thread on this.

Highland
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: 990 Injector Pump Leak Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you very much for the information - RGMartin.

Last edited by Highland on Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total
RGMartin
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 990 Injector Pump Leak Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Highland wrote:
(quoted from post at 15:25:42 02/04/14) [

Speaking of fuel in the crankcase oil pan. I get crankcase oil into the power steering reservoir, especially when the weather is cold. I mean it will fill up the reservoir and overflow. The shaft seal on the power steering pump must be bad and somehow letting the pump suck oil out of the crankcase. I probably should start another thread on this.

The seal on the PS pump goes bad and draws engine oil through the seal rather than oil from the reservoir. Change the filter while you are at it, a plugged PS filter seems to make it worse.

I have seen it many times. It is utterly confusing the first time you see it as it doesn't make any sense at all. Case sells the seal kits for $30, they are available aftermarket for $10 or less.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.