Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

pipe fitting same size as 3/8 pipe but isntnt od ball

View previous topic :: View next topic  
STRESSFREE
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 4:14 pm    Post subject: pipe fitting same size as 3/8 pipe but isntnt od ball Reply to specific post Reply with quote

blew a hose on my ford 601 farm tractor with loader.one end is 3/8 pipe other end of hose has swivel with nipple on hose.same size as 3/8 pipe but finer.not straight thread,stumped.what looks like 3/8 pipe but isnt.1960s vintage.need pipe nipple or fitting that will go in the loader clylinder.all i know is it aint pipe thread.

DiyDave

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: pipe fitting same size as 3/8 pipe but isntnt od ball Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Take it to a hyd shop, might be JIC fitting end. Or it might be something cobbled up by a previous mechanic or owner...

STRESSFREE
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 5:05 am    Post subject: Re: pipe fitting same size as 3/8 pipe but isntnt od ball Reply to specific post Reply with quote

its not jic i make my own hoses and have the wall charts in my shop. back in the day i think they made a fine thread npt.this is old school called hyd shop there stumped.worse case ill saw off the hose end its solid and tig it to a 1/2 pipe coulping and screw a bullet end in and make it jic.i always get stuck with the mysterys.

Roy Suomi
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:15 am    Post subject: Re: pipe fitting same size as 3/8 pipe but isntnt od ball Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Don't suppose it might be British Standard ?? I've seen people put a pipe thread into an o-ring straight thread bore too. or vise versa..

Bob Bancroft
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: pipe fitting same size as 3/8 pipe but isntnt od ball Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'd guess it is.
I just had an issue with a new piece of (imported) farm equipment last year. I found an obviously wrong hyd. fitting installed, but still couldn't identify it. I went to a hyd. shop where they had a suitcase full of labeled fittings just for the purpose of identification. Sure enough, it was British "something".
That took my mind back to my youth when Dad bought a "Howard" power arm. A three point hitch backhoe made by the McConnell Co., imported from England. We had some challenges with fittings. Now I know why!

STRESSFREE
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: pipe fitting same size as 3/8 pipe but isntnt od ball Reply to specific post Reply with quote

my bad got my mag glass out and what happened who ever put the hose on over tighted the threads and streched the threads in the hyd cly.ran a 3/8 pipe tap in the cly and yala it worked.never nothing easy .anyway fixed the hose and brought it back to 1/2 hose.

Heat Houser
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: pipe fitting same size as 3/8 pipe but isntnt od ball Reply to specific post Reply with quote

NPT 3/8 is 18 threads per inch (National Pipe Thread)
BSPT 3/8 is 19 tpi (British Std Pipe Taper)
If memory serves, NPT 60 degrees and BSP 55 degrees is the angle on the thread profile.
DIN is usually 1.5 pitch in the sizes nearest 3/8.(German, Deutsche Industrie Norm) Measure from thread peak to the next thread peak...1.5 mm.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Crawlers, Dozers, Loaders and Backhoes All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters