Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

looking for front wheel weights

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Farmall plowboy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:40 am    Post subject: looking for front wheel weights Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You folks have helped me a couple of times in the
past, hope you can again. I'm looking for a pair of
front wheel weights that will fit my 2n, I know
some use sandbags on the hood and log chains on the
bumper, but I would rather have the right weights,
I live in Wi. so shipping would be a must. Thanks,
for any help!

Kirk-NJ
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: looking for front wheel weights Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You might want to state which ones you need. Is it the standard 2n 19" rim or some guys have the 16" rims. Either way still will be hard to get. You can alway load the tires.

kirk

howdy1960
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: looking for front wheel weights Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Don't mean to steal the thread.

I have a set of 5.50X16 on my 2N.
Any suggestions to how much washer fluid to use (thinking orange stuff as says good to lower temp) if I were to add it? Would you reair them as you would rear tires?

Kirk-NJ
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 10:44 am    Post subject: Re: looking for front wheel weights Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I can't really tell you how much to load them because I have front wheel weights on several of my tractors. I seem to remember the operating manual had something about loading tires so maybe check there.

Kirk

gears
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: looking for front wheel weights Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Plowboy - I'm going to try loading my front tires with antifreeze and pouring concrete weights onto the back side of the rim/hub. Looking at it I think it'll be tricky but I plan on unbolting the spindle from the front axle to make sure the concrete allows enough clearance to spin. I figured remove 3 of the wheel studs and replace them with long ones that will be part of the concrete...

Kirk-NJ
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: looking for front wheel weights Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Another option. I had a homemade rear weight set on one of my 641's. Just take a small piece of big steel pipe. weld it to the disc, weld a few pieces of rebar like at 12/3/6/9 o'clock and one as a round ring, put a sona tube over it, and pour concrete. Not the prettiest but works. I don't see why you couldn't do this on a front rim.

Kirk

L. B,
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:46 pm    Post subject: Re: looking for front wheel weights Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Get a grill guard and hang weights on it the farther you go out the the better. But what do you want with weight? Counter rear weight for steering?

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: looking for front wheel weights Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There is a set on the Appleton, WI Craigslist.
It looks like they are for 16" rims.
He also has a set of rear axle weights and a set of 3 pc rear weights made by Rolloff.
Not my ad, etc, etc.
By the way, if someone buys those 3 piece rear weights make SURE he has the little clamping wedges to go with them. Otherwise you can not mount them.
click here

cdv
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: looking for front wheel weights Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a set on a NAA in new jersey

Joe Scribner
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:31 pm    Post subject: Re: looking for front wheel weights Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Three weeks ago I bought a really nice set of front wheel weights off a Ford to put on my Ferguson TE-A20. They look identical to the two piece ones in that ad farther down. The fellow I bought them from was a former Ford Tractor dealer and had them in his shed since 1976. I am now looking for good set of wheels with the mounting holes so I can put them on. I don't know what they go for in your area but I only paid $100 for mine.

Joe Scribner
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: looking for front wheel weights Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I used Washer fluid to load my rear tires. Made a huge difference. The 12.4-28's took 20 gallons each at 8.2lbs/gal. I don't think the fronts would take more than 4-5 gallons but haven't tried to do mine yet. Still, that'd give you 30-40 lbs per tire.

Joe Scribner
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: looking for front wheel weights Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Found a chart at Messick's. 5.50-16 tires take 5 gallons. About 42 pounds per tire if filled with washer fluid.

howdy1960
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 9:29 pm    Post subject: Re: looking for front wheel weights Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for info Joe.
brakes don't work at this time and dont want any more unsprung weight. of course I just recalled PO of this house left a few sets car chains LOL

Farmall plowboy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2014 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: looking for front wheel weights Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks, for the help. Mainly for counterweight for steering. I have the 19" fronts,Thanks a bunch Ultradog. Not so sure about loading the tires with fluid.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters