Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

White 2-180 Battery Hook-Up

View previous topic :: View next topic  
newfarmer9
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject: White 2-180 Battery Hook-Up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I took the batteries out of my White 2-180 to charge, and now can't remember which way they should be hooked up. I looked in the operator's manual and the service manual, and they show two conflicting diagrams.

The operators manual has the negative posts of the two batteries hooked together and then grounded to the frame, with a cable running from each positive post over to the starting solenoid (parallel).

The service manual shows the negative post of one battery hooked to the positive post of the second battery (series). The second negative post is then grounded to the frame, and the second positive post is connected to the solenoid.

What is the correct way to hook these batteries up?

Last edited by newfarmer9 on Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
newfarmer9
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: White 2-180 Battery Hook-Up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The service manual says "Two twelve volt batteries in parallel", which is what I think is correct, but then the diagram shows two batteries hooked in series?

buzzinduzzin
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: White 2-180 Battery Hook-Up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

look at the starter and or alternator if they say 12 volt then hook 12v batteries in parallel, or two 6v in series

RWT
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2014 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: White 2-180 Battery Hook-Up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If both batteries have a cable hooked to 'chassis' they were parallel.

A cable running from one battery to the other would be series but I
doubt it is like that.

I hope this helps.

RT

G1355
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: White 2-180 Battery Hook-Up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They are parallel, here's a picture of my 2-155 which should be
the same.

newfarmer9
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 23, 2014 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: White 2-180 Battery Hook-Up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I ended up getting it figured out. They are hooked together in parallel. I just don't know why the service manual would show them hooked together in series???

bv
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: White 2-180 Battery Hook-Up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What is the difference in series and parallel? I just bought a 1555 diesel that has 2 6 volts are the previos owner said it turns over too slow so I want to put 2 12 volts on it so, hook them parellel or in series? Thanks again.

J.Wondergem
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: White 2-180 Battery Hook-Up Reply to specific post Reply with quote

bv wrote:
(quoted from post at 14:19:01 02/24/14) What is the difference in series and parallel? I just bought a 1555 diesel that has 2 6 volts are the previos owner said it turns over too slow so I want to put 2 12 volts on it so, hook them parellel or in series? Thanks again.
I think I'd have the starter check out first and see How .such drag it has.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Oliver, Cletrac, Coop and Cockshutt All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.