Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ford 8n idles at 1400 help

View previous topic :: View next topic  
amosmc
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:30 pm    Post subject: ford 8n idles at 1400 help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ok heres the story my gandfather purchsed a 52? 8n
a few years ago well come to find out it didnt have
any of the fuel screens on it so i replaced all them
and went ahead and rebuilt the carb now it cranks
fine but i cant get it to idle under 1400 rpm it idled at 450 or so before ive
taken the gov arm off made sure the butterfly is
closed and the idle screw does nothing could this
be a clogged idle jet or does it sound more like a
air leak

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:34 pm    Post subject: Re: ford 8n idles at 1400 help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds more like the linkage is not hooked up as it should be or the idle screw on the linkage is set wrong

HCooke
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 3:37 pm    Post subject: Re: ford 8n idles at 1400 help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is butterfly valve installed correctly? No clogged jet or air leak will do that.

amosmc
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: ford 8n idles at 1400 help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

yes as far as i know it is

amosmc
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: ford 8n idles at 1400 help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i disconnected the linkage and it doesnt matter how much i back out the idle screw

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: ford 8n idles at 1400 help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Idle screw as in the jet adjustment of the linkage adjustment. If the linkage adjustment then good chance you have the throttle butter fly in wrong

amosmc
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: ford 8n idles at 1400 help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

after looking at some pics i beleive it might be backwards will check in the am

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: ford 8n idles at 1400 help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

what did you find?

amosmc
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: ford 8n idles at 1400 help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i found i had to do the walk of shame for putting the butterfly on backwards lol fired right up idle went down to 550-600 but dies without choke made sure it got enuff fuel no problems there so going to reclean jets and passage ways and check for air leaks

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: ford 8n idles at 1400 help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

check for vacume leak too. ( gaskets.. et.. )

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.