Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

4000 Wide Front Tire Clearance - Thread 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Bond
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:14 pm    Post subject: 4000 Wide Front Tire Clearance - Thread 2 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Switched the tires on the front and clearances were exactly the same as before switch. So I decided to try someone elses suggestion and flipped them around so they are now dish out. Now there's about 4" additional clearance on each side. Don't think it will hurt to run them like that and the weights go back on without issue. I thought maybe the wheel nuts might of been in the way but they're fine. Now the fronts are a bit wider than the rears but don't think that should bother anything or I could just flip the rears around too. Or since there wasn't really any actual problems in the first place with rubbing or anything like that, maybe I should just put them back the way they were and quit being so picky about how it looks. Any suggestions?

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: 4000 Wide Front Tire Clearance - Thread 2 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I do not like the look of reversed front wheels on vintage Fords, especially with wheel weights.

Dean

NNP
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:04 am    Post subject: Re: 4000 Wide Front Tire Clearance - Thread 2 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I looked at your other pics and agree, probably different rim offsets or manufacturer.
Tires, even the same size are different too from different manufacturers
Size? I have a 650 that 6-16 are fine- some brands of 6.50-16
will rub, some won't.
Check your wheel bearings and races for wear on the tight side.

Me, I'd put em back. wider means more strain on the front end, especially hitting holes or dirt clumps.
and 1/4" or 3 feet, clearance is clearance.........

johnpop1

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: 4000 Wide Front Tire Clearance - Thread 2 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I could be wrong, but why would you want to put
added stress on the spindles and wheel bearings
when you could just re-adjust the front axle?

JF in CT
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:12 am    Post subject: Re: 4000 Wide Front Tire Clearance - Thread 2 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I agree with most of the others here. You are going to put an unnecessary strain on the spindle assembly. Most arrangements like that are correct when an imaginary line drawn through the spildle pivot axis intersects the center of the tire contact patch where it touches the ground. Easier steering and less pulling as you hit bumps in the ground. I think you would be better off finding the source of the misalignment in the first place. I notice the steering knuckles are aligned with a keyway. Perhaps one of them is fractured or missing. Possibly at one time in the past the spindle was slightly twisted by an impact or something. If so it may even be possible to find an offset keyway (or have one made) to correct the knuckle offset then just realign.

Jim

Brian Allen
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: 4000 Wide Front Tire Clearance - Thread 2 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tom, I just read your original thread, I agree with the other posters, your back space on your rim is probably the issue, unless you have a bent spindle.
I will leave my original reply here, it may help someone else.
Brian
Tom
Rule of thumb
Generally you want the front wheels set narrow, as it is much easier to navigate trees, obstacles, and for plowing etc.
As for misalignment try this:
Center the steering wheel, (turn the steering wheel lock to lock and count the turns, then move it back to exactly the half way point), then adjust the left wheel until it is square to the tractor, (a board or broom handle sitting on two of your favourite beverage cans works well for this), then measure and square the right wheel to the left. {Note you should have between 1/8" to 1/4" toe in to make the tractor steer better}. (front edge of the wheel measures this much less than the back edge.
If this does not solve your problem you have other issues; post back.
Brian

Last edited by Brian Allen on Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:46 am; edited 2 times in total
Shetland Sheepdog
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: 4000 Wide Front Tire Clearance - Thread 2 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have you checked the key/keyway between the spindle top & steering arm? It would take very little movement there to make the difference in your clearance issue. If the steering arm is good and tight, you probably would not notice any movement under normal conditions. Just a thought, HTH, Dave

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 4000 Wide Front Tire Clearance - Thread 2 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Having the tires out will add a lot of stress to your steering and spindles. I would fix the problem.

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:06 am    Post subject: Re: 4000 Wide Front Tire Clearance - Thread 2 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'll join the chorus here and say I never liked the way they looked turned out.
As for more strain on your spindles I'm sure that is true. But on a tractor that is not wearing a loader I doubt it makes much of a difference.

Dollar Bill
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: 4000 Wide Front Tire Clearance - Thread 2 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Okay, you've eliminated different back spacing on the wheels - Didn't really have to R&R wheels for that measurement. But now you know the lug nuts aren't rusted in place Smile

Haven't seen any discussion on the depth of hub as compared from one side to the other. Measure the distance from the face of the hub to the dust seal.

Looking at your photos, I'm beginning to lean toward the bent spindle assessment.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.