Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Checking oil in John Deere M 1949

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonathan Gurley
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:57 pm    Post subject: Checking oil in John Deere M 1949 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey guys, my dad has a 49 John Deere M and of course we check engine oil with dipstick, what other fluids are there to check on it besides radiator. The lift worked when we got it, but there are some leaks at the back that I suspect leaked the oil for lift out.. can somebody tell me is there any other fluids other than lift oil to check, and if someone could tell me how to check or add (and what kind of oil) to the lift. thanks.

RedJA
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Checking oil in John Deere M 1949 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Operators manual from this site will answer all those questions and more.

bill mart
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Checking oil in John Deere M 1949 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

if the hyd. oil level goes down and the engine oil level goes up, suspect the seal in the hyd. pump is bad. have had that happen before. Bill

M-MAN
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Checking oil in John Deere M 1949 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If I can get this to work, here's the chart. The TOM (lift) has a petcock in the back under the seat. Loosen it and fill (oil cap in front of seat) until it starts running out of petcock. The book calls for 10wt Non Detergent oil but 20wt or even 30wt works better in an old lift.

Jonathan Gurley
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Checking oil in John Deere M 1949 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

YOu guys are awesome. thanks so much.. and the engine oil has stayed perfect. we are running 30wt standard Penzoil in engine, I guess that will be fine for engine and lift??

Jonathan Gurley
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 24, 2014 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Checking oil in John Deere M 1949 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

And one last question.. I see on the chart that was listed that the "transmission and differential" take 90wt.. is it check from the petcock or something on the side of the tractor or how??? thanks for any help.

Hotflashjr
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Checking oil in John Deere M 1949 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

On the brake side of the tractor there should be a square head cap. This is where you can open and fill the transmission. Napa sells straight 90 wt. gear oil. Fill to the level of the cap and you are good. I recommend draining and refilling.

I run 20wt. oil in both my engine and in the TOM year round and have had no issues. Owners manual calls for straight 10 or 20 in the TOM.

James Howell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Checking oil in John Deere M 1949 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Take a look at the photos below for the transmission, final drives, and steering gear housing.

Hope this helps.

dieselade
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: Checking oil in John Deere M 1949 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

the hydaulic check point is just under the seat. a little bitty pipe plug. if oil comes out, then it is full.

Jonathan Gurley
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2014 12:10 am    Post subject: Re: Checking oil in John Deere M 1949 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thats awesome James,, and the fluids should be filled up to these plugs???? correct.????

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.