Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Farmall m

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Little ky farmer

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:42 am    Post subject: Farmall m Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Got a M with a new engine. Starts and runs fine. Pegs the oil pressure gauge. Put a new gauge in and still got the same problem. What is my problem?

John A.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:03 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall m Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Little ky farmer, A fresh engine Is suppose to have good high Oil Pressure. Both gauges are accurate! The engine is still tight maybe after 100 hrs or so it will lower to a more Normal level after Break-In! No Problems at all in my analysis of your description of things!
Later,
John A.

pete 23
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall m Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Oil pressure on carbureted M should be right near 75 psi so it depends on what gauge you are using if it pegs it or not.

Allan in NE
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall m Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's when the needle DOESN'T lay over there on the right is the problem. :>)

Allan

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:47 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall m Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My 53 SH still has a pegged needle. Jim

Phil Tibbetts
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall m Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'd be a lot more worried if it was pegged to the left.

Sparky70
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall m Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Me to. 1951 M rebuilt 12 years ago with little use......pegs the meter all the time. I consider that a good thing.

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall m Reply to specific post Reply with quote

those guages always went right over to the far right.
try a master guage in one of the oil galleries and see exactly what oil pressure you have. seems to me they should be 45 lbs.at fast idle.
problem is those guages dont show psi. but in the green is good.

pete 23
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall m Reply to specific post Reply with quote

See you are getting some conflicting information. A gasoline M normal high idle oil pressure is right in the 70 psi range. The diesel engines were near 45 psi. Lot of old H & M's (gasoline) had the incorrect plunger installed in the oil pump and they would run about 45 psi. I found that out the very first year (1958) that I started working for IH dealer. The problem apparently came right through the parts department. Right part number, wrong plunger. Found a few more over the years and in my own H that I bought that my dad and brother owned.

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall m Reply to specific post Reply with quote

well another question, how come the 560 came out with a 45 lb oil guage, i have always seen it pretty much pegged. then i have sen others with the 75lb. guage and it only sits 3/4 over?

pete 23
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 7:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall m Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well, the 560 will pretty well peg a 45 psi gauge because that is about what their oil pressure runs. Now, do you mean the 560 had a 75psi gauge or were you referring to an M on that part of your question. At any rate, if the 560 had a 75 psi gauge it would be only part way, but if an M is correct it will near peg it. Not saying an M with 45 psi of oil pressure will not work, just saying that it is not the original pressure setting.

John M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:14 am    Post subject: Re: Farmall m Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Someone correct me if I am wrong, been sometme since Ive been in an M engine, the cam bearings have hole for oil, right, and if not installed right will peg the oil pressure? Also, if these holes are not in the right position, the head will not get oil? Like I said its been some time since Ive been into one, I cant really remember. BTW, my 41 M has pegged the gauge since it was rebuilt in the late 70s. My other 41 has like 80 hours on therebuild and almost pegs the gauge at idle, and Im using the 75lb gauge on it.

CNKS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Farmall m Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had an M that did that. My opinion is that you have a 45 psi gauge when it needs a 75. And the 75 psi one may peg when first started, but one with a good engine will drop to about 3/4 pegged when completely warmed up.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.