Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

3010 engine problems.

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dcfl421

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:09 am    Post subject: 3010 engine problems. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

IM working on an early model jd 3010 diesel. Tractor came in because the engine was breaking up at higher rpms and was smoking badly. I installed a new injection pump and had injectors rebuilt at an injection shop. THe reman pump has advance so I set timing at 4 degrees btdc. Engine ran smooth until the very peak of full throttle and would break up. It also was hard to start cold and smokes white/blueish smoke like crazy. I turned pump to almost 14 degrees btdc until i got her to run smooth at full throttle. Doesnt seem to be too bad now but is smoking blue at idle pretty good. Im going to let it sit outside tonight and check it in the morning. I also measured valve lift and found some exhaust lobe lift to be out more the 0.100 of an inch. I readjusted valves and got some of them a little better but I still have two over 0.100 out. COuld this be my problem here or could this reman pump be bad? Any info would be very helpfull.

Larry EC-OH
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: 3010 engine problems. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Did you make a typo on the measurement? If the valves really are 0.100 out it"s a wonder it even runs.

dcfl421

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: 3010 engine problems. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

the minimum spec for valve lift is 0.400 and i have one that is only 0.300 and one that is only 0.275. checked them all 5 times to make sure. Thought the same thing. If it still smokes in the morning im going to check cylinder compression also.

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: 3010 engine problems. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well if that is the spec. then the cam must be shot ?

tim s
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 3010 engine problems. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Also check the back lash of the oil pump to cam gear if it's worn bad the timing will fluctuate..

ET
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 3010 engine problems. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Line up the timing marks in the pump as well as the ones on the flywheel turning the engine in the normal direction of rotation. Then slowly turn the engine backwards till the pump marks start to move. If you have more than a couple degrees of rotation it's too much.

dcfl421

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 3010 engine problems. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I checked it and its about6 degrees before pump mark starts moving.

wisbaker
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 3010 engine problems. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Before I'd condemn the cam I think I'd check all the rocker arms, pushrods and lifters first. As others have said check the injection pump drive, if somethings loose there it'll allow your timing to wander.

ET
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 2:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 3010 engine problems. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thats to much. If the thrust plate on the cam has lost the bolts or they are loose the bevel of the gear will change the timing as the cam floats in and out.

D-
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2014 4:18 pm    Post subject: Re: 3010 engine problems. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Pump w/advance should be @ TDC.

dcfl421

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: 3010 engine problems. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had it at tdc, 4 btdc, 10 btdc, and now its at 14 btdc. It never changed how it starts but at full throttle it would break up really bad until i turned it to 14 btdc now its runs smooth. I went out this morning and same thing ..blows out alot of white grayish smoke and smells like unburnt fuel. Will not start. Going to try a shot of either so i can get her back in the shop and check compression.

dcfl421

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 7:55 am    Post subject: Re: 3010 engine problems. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

checked compression. each cylinder was any where from 350 to 380 psi. After squirting oil in the cyliners i got up to 400 psi. Which makes sense if my compression is low and im now getting the proper fuel with the new pump and injectors it can burn all the fuel up when its cold and thats why it smokes raw fuel out the stack. when its hot it runs better cuz it seal up a little. Between the worn cam and low compression i think im beating a dead horse here. I found complete long blocks with a warranty for only $4600 so i think i may end up going that route. thanks for all the help guys.

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: 3010 engine problems. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would have a few concerns about a reman unit as to who did it and what parts are NEW in it.
Not all rebuilders are equal. Same with warrantys some aren't worth the paper their written on.

tim s
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 26, 2014 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: 3010 engine problems. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Exactly....

dcfl421

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 27, 2014 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: 3010 engine problems. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

farmlandtractor.com check it out and let me know what you think.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.