Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2N Ford Blues part 3

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animal
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:30 am    Post subject: 2N Ford Blues part 3 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ok here is the deal. + from Battery side of solenoid to key switch with switch on+ going to OEM regulator + from low voltage side of regulator to ballast resistor. + from low side ballast resistor to 12 volt coil and no start. Eliminate ballast resistor and bring + out of low side of OEM regulator, starts on a half turn of the engine. Here is my question, why do I need the ballast resistor with a 12 volt coil?

Mike Groom
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: 2N Ford Blues part 3 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The ballast resistor is usually between the coil and the dist. to drop the voltage at the points to extend the life of the points,if you're putting it before the coil you probably don't have the correct voltage at the coil,also a broken or defective ballast resistor will not work properly,check the voltage on the out put side to verify what it has dropped to.

R Geiger
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: 2N Ford Blues part 3 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There should be no wire in the ignition circuit that goes to the regulator. Not sure what you are saying!

The OEM ballast resistor is required to protect the coil.

R Geiger
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: 2N Ford Blues part 3 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mike Groom wrote:
(quoted from post at 04:48:00 03/06/14) The ballast resistor is usually between the coil and the dist. to drop the voltage at the points to extend the life of the points,if you're putting it before the coil you probably don't have the correct voltage at the coil,also a broken or defective ballast resistor will not work properly,check the voltage on the out put side to verify what it has dropped to.

I have never seen a ballast resistor between the coil and the dist. How would you do that on a front mount dist? Google wiring diagrams for ford 2n tractor!

HCooke
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: 2N Ford Blues part 3 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What is the OEM regulator??

Animal
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: 2N Ford Blues part 3 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Original equipment manufactures, in other words the voltage drop that came with the tractor.

Animal
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: 2N Ford Blues part 3 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have never in my life seen a ballast resistor between the coil and points.

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: 2N Ford Blues part 3 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

" why do I need the ballast resistor with a 12 volt coil? "

To keep from melting it. (see tip # 30)

Technology & materials being what they were in the 30's, that square coil would melt if it ran on much more than 4 amps for any length of time. (see tip # 38 for an example). In order to get a hot spark at the same time the starter was drawing max current from the battery, a ballast resistor was added in the ignition circuit. What that did was add about .3 ohms of resistance in the circuit, added to the 1.5 ohms of the coil. That got you 3.5 amps or so at start up. As the voltage increased when the engine was running to about 7.5 volts, the resistor heated up, adding more resistance in the circuit. 1.0 ohms hot, plus 1.5 ohms of the coil got you down to 3 amps or so to keep from melting the coil. The same rule (actually, Ohm's Law) applies to a 12v circuit. I= E/R. Current equals voltage divided by resistance.
75 Tips

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:07 pm    Post subject: Re: 2N Ford Blues part 3 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm sure Harold knows what OEM means.

What he was asking....and I will as well....what sort of "regulator" are you talking about?

A 2N never had one.

And, as you have a 12v conversion, your tractor wil not have one either....unless it has a 12v generator.
75 Tips

Animal
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: 2N Ford Blues part 3 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bruce, what I am calling a regulator is the oem resistor from the stock key switch to ignition coil. What I am calling a ballast resistor is the ceramic resistor that I purchased from this site when I put this altogether. I asked the parts man at the time of purchase if I needed a ceramic add on resistor with a 12 volt coil and he assured me that I did. But the question I have is do I need that extra resistor that won't let my tractor start and run properly?

Animal
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 2N Ford Blues part 3 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would like to throw something at you guys, the only reason that I was not professor or multi millionare was the fact that I could never get out of my mouth what was in my head. I am sorry for the confusion, but you must have a little sympathy for me having such a great mind and what I could do for man kind if only I had not been born to stupid to express myself correctly!

Bruce (VA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 2N Ford Blues part 3 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

" what I am calling a regulator is the oem resistor"

Well, no wonder we're confused.

To be precise, it is the OEM ballast resistor.

The only reason you need that extra ceramic resistor is if your coil has less than 2.5 ohms of internal resistance, i.e., it's a 6v coil.

You said it was 12v. Is it? (measure it to find out)

If you have too little resistance in the ignition circuit, the tractor will start & run fine....until the coil melts.

If you have too much resistance in the circuit, it will be hard to start & run poorly.

"I asked the parts man at the time of purchase if I needed a ceramic add on resistor with a 12 volt coil and he assured me that I did."

If he sold you a 12v coil, you do NOT need the additional resistor.
75 Tips

Animal
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 2N Ford Blues part 3 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you, that what I wanted to know. It is indeed a 12 volt coil.

HCooke
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 12:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 2N Ford Blues part 3 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Animal, you need this resistor and that is all.

Old weldor
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 1:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 2N Ford Blues part 3 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It sounds like you are calling the oem resistor a regulator, if you are using the oem resistor you don't need a second one which you have added and that is your problem!

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.