Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fordson Dextra?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beanmedic
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject: Fordson Dextra? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Is this a Fordson Dextra or perhaps a Diesel 2000? Not familiar with these Fords (I have a Jubilee). Price is $1,600, not including brush hog.

Jack in Colo
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2014 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Fordson Dextra? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looks like a Dexta to me, can't tell what year it is, been 20 years since I owned one of those. Some of the other guys on here may be able to help you more with details about it. Around here $1600-$2000 is about an average price for a Dexta that runs ok with good tires.

WayneB
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: Fordson Dextra? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

1957-1961 Dexta - not Super Dexta

jimont
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:06 am    Post subject: Re: Fordson Dextra? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

David, that's a dexta. Super Dextas where the last models (63/64) and I believe Supers were sold in the states as both Super Dextas and 2000's.

Kennyj
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Fordson Dextra? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 1959 fordson dexta gas

Beanmedic
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Fordson Dextra? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Got it. Thanks folks!

Guess it doesn't offer much advantage over my Jubilee...except for the diesel engine.

Majorman
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Fordson Dextra? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi Kenny,

There were only 4000 petrol Dextas made and none were sold in England so over here they are rare.

I am collecting the numbers from all the tractors I can find and so far have over 70 mainly from Australia. Would you please e-mail me yours on bhe@btconnect dot com to add to the list.

Majorman
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: Fordson Dextra? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Been trying to comment on this thread but have
been locked out until today.

As others have said it is a Dexta. The Dexta was
made from 1957 to 1964.

The Petrol Dexta was made from 1961 to 1964

Super Dexta was made from 1962 to 1964.

They were one of the best tractors Ford ever made
and there are many hundreds of them still at work
all over the world.

They have a few problems like wear on the bottom
of the gear stick but this can be repaired with a
welder and they do not like light work and will
blow oil out of the exhaust if subject to a lot of
ticking over. This is easily cured by a bit of
hard work though.

WayneB
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2014 11:48 am    Post subject: Re: Fordson Dextra? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Live PTO, perhaps, but do not see diff lock pedal.
-PTO gets RPM low, good econonomy.
-Six pretty well spaced gears.
-With a Dexta, you can easily run a PTO rotor tiller, I run a 72" one buried in second.

The Super Dexta is a better tractor, for a couple of reasons. Stronger tranny, more power and when it comes time to put bearings and seals on that rear axle, with the Super, you remove nuts to pull off, and the Dexta you drill and break. And the mechanical governor IMHO is better than pneumatic.
I have 3 1/2 super dextas and a fourth parts super.
I grew up with the "N-Fords" and can buy what I want, and short of a fleet of 1000 series, the Super Dexta is my go-to utility tractor.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Fordson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.