Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

stroke / clearancing tool

View previous topic :: View next topic  
wi50
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:08 am    Post subject: stroke / clearancing tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here's a simple tool I made up for clearancing blocks, or
checking to see what fits when useing different rod or stroke
combinations or different blocks. I just made arms with hole
centers for 1/2 stroke foe example a 6" stroke is a 3" offset, or
3" center to center on the holes. I made different slugs to fit
different main bearing bores and rod end bores of different
rods.

I don't know if it's NATPA legal to use when building a motor or
not, but it sure is handy. Maybe a few of you will make
something similar or have made something to make the job
easier. I just hate mock up, grinding, clean up, over and over. And I get way to many questions of what stroke fits with what rod in this block or that block. I can check things out ahead of time and I like to keep a greater cap angle on the rods when possiable, it makes for a bit stronger rod.

I made this tool up and send it out to people I'm working with so they can check and do a little planning for those who are building their own engines or I'm helping them with the planning, selling them parts, rotating assemblies etc.

Last edited by wi50 on Sun Mar 09, 2014 8:15 am; edited 2 times in total
H-66
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:02 am    Post subject: Re: stroke / clearancing tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That is a great idea Marty. Thanks for the tip!
Jim Henke

Jasonillinois
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:18 am    Post subject: Re: stroke / clearancing tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The tool worked great and was extremely easy to use. Let alone figure out clearances without having a crank there.

I greatly appreciate Marty's work and craftsmanship.

Jason

wi50
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 10:41 am    Post subject: Re: stroke / clearancing tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Without the crank in the engine, you can watch how the rod swings past the cam, the sleeve, etc. You can set an oil pan on and spin the shaft, or watch in the other end of the engine to see if you're dealing with an engine where it may be an issue. Get a visual on things and see if a different cap angle would work better or if there's enough room to run a different rod.

I just made it in an hour or less from a few bucks of left over materials and otherwise scrap and it's saved me many hours. I can set a crank in and mark the fore-aft position of where the rods are going to swing and then set my good parts aside, use this and not have to guess.

For example I'm working with someone hundreds of miles away and they wanted to run a longer stroke in a narrower block.....will it fit? What does a guy do when it doesn't?....or should we use a different combination. For a few bucks postage things get figured out up front and I don't need the block or core parts to get most of the job done.

LW
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: stroke / clearancing tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Made one of those myself years ago I make the journals out of nylon so they absorb any foreign matter.

EP
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: stroke / clearancing tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Great idea,that will save lots of time and simple to make thanks for the pics!

Flyin Farmall
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:43 pm    Post subject: Re: stroke / clearancing tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

thats a great idea!! i'll be building myself one

VicS
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 3:48 pm    Post subject: Re: stroke / clearancing tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The simple ideas are always the best. Thanks for sharing. I have took the crank out at least 20 times. Vic

algar7

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2014 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: stroke / clearancing tool Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Very nice,I made a nylon bushing for the cam on JD's to slip over the left side when clearancing the cam

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Pulling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.