Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

solid front tires? AC - ca

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Daniel Neal
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 7:10 am    Post subject: solid front tires? AC - ca Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have an Allis Chalmers ca I use for bush-hogging.
Problem is the front tires pick up thorns and go
flat. I have been told there is a foam you can put
in them to make them solid. Or maybe I could find
some steel wheels but haven't had any luck yet.
What is the best fix?

Jerry Coulter
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: solid front tires? AC - ca Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Use Slime for inner tubes. You would have to forego liquid ballast. Steel wheels from a war-time C would fit if you could ever find and afford them.

Lonnie Smith
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:06 am    Post subject: Re: solid front tires? AC - ca Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You could get them foam filled for around $50 each and never have another flat, it will also add some weight up front.

hd6gtom
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: solid front tires? AC - ca Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I spent 22 years in the farm tire business, FORGET about the slime It DOESNOT WORK, just makes a mess for the tire guys to clean out and clean up. Take then to your local farm tire shop and have them foam filled. It must be professionally done.

JMS/.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 12:23 pm    Post subject: Re: solid front tires? AC - ca Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You could buy two additional rims and fab some steel bands for them, with a substructure to equal the tire diameter. You"d want to incorporate a rib for steering control. Maybe even face the band with tread from a traction tire.

Dick L
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: solid front tires? AC - ca Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have heard that you can put two or three layers of inter tube inside of the tire on the out side of the inter tube you inflate and the thorns will never puncture the inflated tube. Before slime in the 1970's I was cleaning up a bunch of brush and had a coupla thorns that I removed and plugged. I ended up putting four cans for tire fix in each front tire and the next flat was when I wore thru the casing. When I would get a puncture it would bubble wet for a short and seal up. I have not had good luck with slime on a lawn mower.

DiyDave

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: solid front tires? AC - ca Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tire liners from gemplers.com, or if you can find the appropriate sized tires, put the narrowest width tire on the rim, and then take a tire bigger in diameter, and put it over the the narrow tire. Had a friend with an orchard, and he used to do that. Outer tire needs one bead cut off of it, to get it over the inner tire.

Rock_Picker(MO)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2014 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: solid front tires? AC - ca Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I vote for getting them filled with foam. Had my pull type brush hog tires filled about ten years ago. It has worked great!

sandman2234
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: solid front tires? AC - ca Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you find front steel wheels, I would willing to buy them and have your front wheels foam filled for you, lol...
I need them for my War B and War C tractors...
David from jax

Dale(MS)
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: solid front tires? AC - ca Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have seen the solid spare tires from a car used before. Don't know what had to be done to get them to match up with the bolt pattern if anything but the idea caught my eye. Have no idea how they would handle thorns etc. Dale

bg/mo
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:13 am    Post subject: Re: solid front tires? AC - ca Reply to specific post Reply with quote

foam fill them ,and they will be fixed till the tire wears off the rim.

ajco
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: solid front tires? AC - ca Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I used front steel wheels off manure spreader

TimNorthTX
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2014 8:19 pm    Post subject: Re: solid front tires? AC - ca Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looking at the ad tonight for Gensco Aircraft Tires; "Thorn Proof", "No Flats" and you can buy them pre-assembled to their replacement rims.
I mow in mesquite and use Berrymans with 2" long thorns pulled out with vice grips, re-fill with air and go. Foam filled can be a bit hard on the main pivot pin, plus know folks that have cracked rims as no "give", plus makes for a hard ride on tractors I have driven.
I would not use the green slime in my lawn mower . . . . .

farmerwithmutt
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: solid front tires? AC - ca Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Check with mennite or amish they put steel on everything even seen late model tractors they put springs in backtires also seen bobcats on steel now that would be a rough ride

Charlie175
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2014 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: solid front tires? AC - ca Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have foam filled on my D12, they are rougher riding

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Allis Chalmers All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.