Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

John Deere 60 pto

View previous topic :: View next topic  
golfcartman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: John Deere 60 pto Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just bought a 60 yesterday and it seems the pto is locked up. I never had a 60 so I don"t know much about it. Bought 5 tractors and this is one of them. Don"t have much in it so that may be a good thing. The pto want turn , the rock shaft want turn either. Does the pto have to be in gear for the lift to work? Any help would be great.

BushogPapa
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere 60 pto Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When "OFF", the PTO will not turn because it has an internal Brake.
To operate, the PTO must be engaged BEFORE the engine is started , then the foot lever must be engaged.
There is an "On-Off" on the Hydraulic Pump that must only be engaged with the engine OFF.
Try that and see if they work..

Ron.

BushogPapa
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:55 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere 60 pto Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Correction: the 60 uses a lever on the right side of the seat to operate the PTO instead of a foot lever as is on a 620/630.
Ron.

Scott 730
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere 60 pto Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Does it have (optional) live pto, with the lever at the right side of the seat? Been 30 years since I had a 60 but I think the hyd can be turned off at the governor housing?

Last edited by Scott 730 on Sun Mar 23, 2014 6:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Deere Scotty
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere 60 pto Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When You say locked up... Does that mean the PTO turns all the time, & wont shut off, or wont turn even with a pipe wrench on it when the engine is off, & the engage lever disengaged?

I have owned 3 60's, & never had trouble with the PTO's. Only thing I did was occasionally adjust the PTO clutch. All had live PTO's with 2 levers. 1 on the floor that shifted sideways. 1 on the side of the battery box (Engage/disengage lever).

If You have not tried a pipe wrench on the shaft, Please do! & try it with the levers in all positions.

Fred from MO
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:51 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere 60 pto Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Engage lever by your right foot that is just off the pedestal platform. Start engine. DO not try to engage this lever by your foot with the engine running as it will grind gears this is meant to be engaged when the engine is off. Now after you engage the lever by your right foot and then start the engine then pull up on the lever on the right side of the battery box. It should cam up into a locked position. This starts the PTO shaft turning. Of course these steps assume you have the live PTO option on your 60.

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere 60 pto Reply to specific post Reply with quote

She looks pretty good and rear tires are excellent. Even has fenders which is unusual.
The nice folks at 1-800-522-7448 have real JD operators and service manuals. They are cheaper than ripping the gears out of the hydraulic pump or pto drive.

Pete76NY
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:43 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere 60 pto Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looks like they answered the PTO question for ya...as far as the rock shafts; turn the tractor off, then rotate the handle on the Hydraulic pump (left side in front of your foot behind the dash by the governor) to the "ON" position, the start the tractor and your hydraulic control (usually on left beside the seat, but occasionally on right) should get the rockshats moving, but with no weight on 'em they won't rotate down so just take a pipe wrench, put it over either side, and push down a lil bit while holding the lever back.

golfcartman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere 60 pto Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks to all of you that responded to my question. I think I will be able to get all the levers and all in the right place to see if it works, it probably will, I never had a 60 so a little slow on how it all works. Would love to trade this tractor for a hand start B if anyone is interested. I'm in Ms..

Green 5020
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere 60 pto Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a hand start b I would trade with you for. Maybe too far away though, close to St. Louis. Let me know. Email open

golfcartman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere 60 pto Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Send me some pics of the B 601 5731854. One other question
about this 60. What power steering fluid should I use and how
much does it hold?

long green line man
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere 60 pto Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you drain it, some fluid will stay in PS system , If you can find out , from previous owner what was used in it; mixing dif. fluids can cause problems , (foaming etc.) Good chance it has original John Deere special power steering oil , available at JD dealer...

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters