Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

hat air compressor to buy?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nick m
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:22 pm    Post subject: hat air compressor to buy? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm going to start painting my own tractors. What do you guys recommend size and brand wise? Figure I'll do one or two per year at the most. Don't want to break the bank but don't want harbor freight junk either. I've been down that road.

Nick m
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: hat air compressor to buy? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Title was supposed to be; what air compressor to buy.

glennster
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: hat air compressor to buy? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Quincy or champion. 5 hp 220 v single phase. Look for a 2 stage compressor pump, close to 20 cfm, and an 80 gallon tank. Uprights take up less room, they need to be bolted down good.

RandyB(MI)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 4:23 pm    Post subject: Re: hat air compressor to buy? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I might also add Ingersol Rand but NOT the chain store models but IR,s own Industrial models with T-30 pump and Baldor motor. 5hp/220 1750 rpm / 2cyl/2stage/preferably the "V" configuration (like a Harley) w/80 gal tank. Not going to get a good one for $1000 though. I paid $1700 for mine in 1981 but made a living with it, sometimes running 2 DA,s all day long but also sandblaster and now retired but never had to do anything to it as far as repairs. Still has the original belts on it. You can leave the hose wide open and it will recover and shut off all while open hose! Parts are all still available but have never needed any? IR , Quincy , Saylor Beale,Champion. Saylor Beale is still made right here in MI.

Fordfarmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: hat air compressor to buy? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've got a C-Aire (sp?) 80 gallon, 2stage, 5 h.p. for my milking parlor. Only problem in 17 years of daily use has been one blown gasket between the head and line to the tank. Cast iron pump, Baldor motor. Made in Wyoming, MN.

dr sportster
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:33 pm    Post subject: Re: hat air compressor to buy? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Don't rule out Harbor Freight for a filter at the final hose connection point. Only because a made in USA is a few hundred and a H-F is about 25 bucks. Not everything in H-F is evel. Knevel.

RedJA
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2014 6:57 pm    Post subject: Re: hat air compressor to buy? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a craftsman 80 gal I've used for over ten years. They have a 30 gal for around 300 bucks which would be enough for painting.

Stephen Newell
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: hat air compressor to buy? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you were continuously spraying the side of a barn you might need a pretty large compressor. Painting a tractor you are starting and stopping a lot so a small one would do fine. As long as you had a compressor that would deliver 4 scfm at 90 psi or larger you wouldn"t have a problem.

dboll

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2014 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: hat air compressor to buy? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I found an 80 gal. 325 Quincey on Craigslist for $400, works good and built better than most of the stuff made today.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Paint and Bodywork All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.