Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

641-Interesting pump-prime remedy

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jeff pk
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:33 am    Post subject: 641-Interesting pump-prime remedy Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My hydraulic pump was leaking oil from the gear/engine-drive connection, so I decided to remove the pump. PO failed to install any gasket there at all so it was an easy fix, but the prime was lost in the pump when it was reinstalled and on reading the archives I tried to fiddle with the pipe-plug on top and blow air into the dipstick hole---both of which only got the pump to judder the lift slowly up. The real fix came by jacking up the rear end high---so that it was above the front, and running it for awhile while I raised and lowered the lift---after about 10 minutes it was smooth as silk. Question: what's happening inside that's priming the pump?

Just curious...

sunbeam
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: 641-Interesting pump-prime remedy Reply to specific post Reply with quote

works almost every time I drive the front end into the road ditch and leave the back wheels on the road.

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: 641-Interesting pump-prime remedy Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Be advised that the shim gaskets between the hydraulic pump and the engine block are used to set drive gear backlash. Add/remove as necessary.

Dean

jeff pk
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: 641-Interesting pump-prime remedy Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I remember reading that. Should it ever be entirely free of a gasket?

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 12:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 641-Interesting pump-prime remedy Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I cannot imagine why. It will leak without.

Dean

mhb@ufe
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 641-Interesting pump-prime remedy Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As sunbeam said, driving the front end inti a dish is a common method. If you think about the oil level along a straight line toward the front of the tractor and that is how high the oil is in the suction tube. When you raise the back of the tractor the oil level raises at the front there for raising the oil level in the suction tube.

Mark

Larry NCKS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 641-Interesting pump-prime remedy Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hmm!!! Drive the front end inti a dish? Won't that break the dish??? Laughing Rolling Eyes

Sorry! Couldn't resist!

mhb@ufe
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 641-Interesting pump-prime remedy Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You have to use a Tupperware dish :-)

Mark

Larry NCKS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 2:28 am    Post subject: Re: 641-Interesting pump-prime remedy Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Laughing

mhb@ufe
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: 641-Interesting pump-prime remedy Reply to specific post Reply with quote

must have been thinking about food instead of tractors. Hope I didn't put my food in the ditch.

Mark

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: 641-Interesting pump-prime remedy Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nutter head different thought "THUMBS UP"

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters