Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

increasing current over time with electronic ignition

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FLAcharlie
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 4:32 pm    Post subject: increasing current over time with electronic ignition Reply to specific post Reply with quote

'50 sidemount N, 12 volts.
So a few weeks ago I got the Pertronix electronic ignition. Fired up first time once I figured out how to mount it, runs good.

HOWEVER, after mowing for about an hour, current started increasing, from an initial 1 amp or so, up to almost 10 amps. I noticed that and ceased mowing.

My theory was, coil resistance was decreasing as it heated up, and I wasn't sure if it was the recommended 3 ohm coil, so I got a new Pertronix "40,000 volts" 3 ohm coil, and am experiencing about the same. After about an hour, current had gone from initial 1 amp or so up to about 6 amps. When I put it away, I checked the coil, and it did feel fairly warm.

Did not have this behavior with the points.
One year old maintenance-free battery, any ideas ?

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: increasing current over time with electronic ignition Reply to specific post Reply with quote

FLAcharlie wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:32:38 05/06/14) '50 sidemount N, 12 volts.
So a few weeks ago I got the Pertronix electronic ignition. Fired up first time once I figured out how to mount it, runs good.

HOWEVER, after mowing for about an hour, current started increasing, from an initial 1 amp or so, up to almost 10 amps. I noticed that and ceased mowing.

My theory was, coil resistance was decreasing as it heated up, and I wasn't sure if it was the recommended 3 ohm coil, so I got a new Pertronix "40,000 volts" 3 ohm coil, and am experiencing about the same. After about an hour, current had gone from initial 1 amp or so up to about 6 amps. When I put it away, I checked the coil, and it did feel fairly warm.

Did not have this behavior with the points.
One year old maintenance-free battery, any ideas ?

The 10:1 current increase does not meet the 'test of reason-ability'. I seriously doubt that such is happening. Find another way to measure & verify. Besides reason, the Pertronix unit would have failed & coil resistance INCREASES with increasing temperature.....by a lot!

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 4:46 pm    Post subject: Re: increasing current over time with electronic ignition Reply to specific post Reply with quote

where are you seeing this amperage reading?

the ammeter? if so.. you are seeing charge current tot he battery.. ignition draw is on the load side of the ammeter.. not the battery.. so ammeter will not show the draw of the ei module. it's all washed int he net charge/discharge.

only way to know what the ei draws would be to have a ammeter inline with it..

FLAcharlie
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: increasing current over time with electronic ignition Reply to specific post Reply with quote

yes, the ammeter.

FLAcharlie
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: increasing current over time with electronic ignition Reply to specific post Reply with quote

if coil resistance went UP when it heated up, then current would go DOWN, no ?

It COULD be EI un-related, except I'd done a bunch of mowing this year before switching from points to EI and didn't see this behavior.

FLAcharlie
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: increasing current over time with electronic ignition Reply to specific post Reply with quote

also, my sense was, the way I have my ammeter wired, the only thing that indicates on the meter is what the ignition system is consuming. When it's running, what else consumes power ? (besides the headlights, which I have recently had off)

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: increasing current over time with electronic ignition Reply to specific post Reply with quote

FLAcharlie wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:52:04 05/06/14) if coil resistance went UP when it heated up, then current would go DOWN, no ?

It COULD be EI un-related, except I'd done a bunch of mowing this year before switching from points to EI and didn't see this behavior.
Resistance increase would result in current decrease.

FLAcharlie
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: increasing current over time with electronic ignition Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Would this be a possibility ?

Does EI draw more current than points ?

If so, my alternator might not be up to the increased load ?

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 5:16 pm    Post subject: Re: increasing current over time with electronic ignition Reply to specific post Reply with quote

well.. HOW DO YOU have your ammeter wired?

I find it had to believe it is truly only inline with the ignition.

if your system is wired net like it was from the factory.. then all loads like lamsp and ignition are on one side of the meter.. and the battery ont he other.

that way, tractor not running and ignition or lamps on, the meter shows a negative deflection.

your meter normally is showing current charging the battery.. or discharging from the battery. other loads while running and a positive needle are being carried by the generator.. not running you have negative needle and the battery is discharging to power those loads.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 5:19 pm    Post subject: Re: increasing current over time with electronic ignition Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think....no offense, just stating an observation, that you have a fundamental misunderstanding of how electricity works with respect to the way your tractors charge system was designed.
You may or may not also have an electrical problem that could be an overcharge situation ( bad battery cell or bad vreg )

both remain to be seen.

FLAcharlie
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: increasing current over time with electronic ignition Reply to specific post Reply with quote

with all due respect, I've been FCC (extra class) licensed for 50 years, I do understand electricity.
As I said, I'd done several hours mowing this year without seeing this (dis)charging behavior.

It COULD be co-incidental with the change to EI, but it does raise my suspicions.

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: increasing current over time with electronic ignition Reply to specific post Reply with quote

FLAcharlie wrote:
(quoted from post at 21:15:24 05/06/14) Would this be a possibility ?

Does EI draw more current than points ?

If so, my alternator might not be up to the increased load ?
No, the resistance of the coil & if present, the ballast resistor set the current whether points or EI.

Hobo,NC
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: increasing current over time with electronic ignition Reply to specific post Reply with quote

FLAcharlie wrote:
(quoted from post at 05:24:06 05/07/14) with all due respect, I've been FCC (extra class) licensed for 50 years, I do understand electricity.
As I said, I'd done several hours mowing this year without seeing this (dis)charging behavior.

It COULD be co-incidental with the change to EI, but it does raise my suspicions.

How do you figger to test yer spicions...

FLAcharlie
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 6:21 pm    Post subject: Re: increasing current over time with electronic ignition Reply to specific post Reply with quote

not ONLY inline with the ignition.
If I put the headlights on, adds about another 5 amps.

I believe I am monitoring what is going into/ out of the battery, so everything. But when it's been running for a few minutes, and charged back up from initial cranking, current draw should only be from ignition system, as long as I have the radio and the headlights off, what else is there ?

Bob
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2014 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: increasing current over time with electronic ignition Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What is the charging voltage?

Does the battery show any signs of snotting out any acid though the vents/catching dirt there, etc?

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters