Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Electric meter running backwards

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heyseed
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:40 am    Post subject: Electric meter running backwards Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Been doing punch out work on a home in Tiger Valley, This week they came and installed a little solar panel. It is about 70 yards long, has 80 panels and will power the entire farm. Each footer has over three yards of concrete. I couldn't find a place to plug in and charge my phone.
PS The tractor is a 4WD Komatsu

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Electric meter running backwards Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nice.

What did it cost?

Nice TLB, too.

Dean

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:49 am    Post subject: Re: Electric meter running backwards Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes! More the better. Real solution real fine. Jim

jennifer408
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:51 am    Post subject: Re: Electric meter running backwards Reply to specific post Reply with quote

nice, way to go, we are on solar, but we are off grid so we don't pay to watch a meter go backwards.

Heyseed
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Electric meter running backwards Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't ask customers how much things cost Smile
They did say it will pay for itself in 15 years.

John T
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Electric meter running backwards Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If I were younger and just starting with a new home etc ID GO SOLAR, AND GEOTHERMAL, AND SOLAR HOT WATER, MAYBE SOME WIND POWER, AND ENERGY EFFICIENCY OUT THE YING YANG. That would be the ONLY way to go in the future.

Actually, when we live in the RV often off the grid dry boondock camping (free or minimal cost) for long periods we are mostly self sufficient and sustainable other then a small amount of LP Gas for hot water and the LP Gas fired fridge. Its equipped with 200 watts of rooftop solar panels, a four battery bank totaling 460 Amp Hours of energy storage, and an Onan generator just in case.

It would be fun to be twenty something just starting out wouldn't it????????? lol Its been a good life and as my buddy says, "Its been a good ride"

Ol John T

Dean
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: Electric meter running backwards Reply to specific post Reply with quote

NO ONE can predict much of anything 15 years into the future.

Dean

Wile E
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Electric meter running backwards Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You say 15 yrs to pay for itself.
Lets figure it out.

$100 per month elect. bill.
$1200 per year.
15 x $1200 = $18,000
I am sure it was more like $30-40k.
Especially with the concrete work/install.

Aint cheep.
I do like clean AC power, where I do not have to do anything other than pay the bill.

dustycoal
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Electric meter running backwards Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Really nice set up, Like how it is installed. Think it will take home builders installing and putting the cost into the mortgage of a new built house to get in the main stream. Grid tied is the best if your power company will allow it.

Ken Combs
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: Electric meter running backwards Reply to specific post Reply with quote

$100/mo electric bill?? Don't know where you're at or what you power but that is 1/2 to 1/4 the bills around here, especially during A/C season. I think the average in our area would be $300-400. Of course, more in the mini-mansions that are becoming so common.

bill mart
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 11:15 am    Post subject: Re: Electric meter running backwards Reply to specific post Reply with quote

life expectancy of the system ? bill

Tom in TN
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 11:16 am    Post subject: Re: Electric meter running backwards Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm not solar savvy, so I'm asking out of ignorance not to make any kind of point here.

Does the solar system also require batteries to be used in conjunction with it? It seems to me that there must be some kind of storage facility for use when the sun isn't shining.

If there are batteries, are they typically lead-acid batteries or something else?

Tom in TN - the not smart solar guy

IH2444
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Electric meter running backwards Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dean wrote:
(quoted from post at 14:16:15 05/10/14) NO ONE can predict much of anything 15 years into the future.

Dean

Why not?

1. Prices will increase.
2. People will still be fussin in wars and such.
3. Politicians will still mostly be slime.
4. People will still be dying.
5. People will still be being born.
6. People will still thinking that their religion is the only correct one.

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 11:25 am    Post subject: Re: Electric meter running backwards Reply to specific post Reply with quote

ken combs wrote:
(quoted from post at 12:04:20 05/10/14)
$100/mo electric bill?? Don't know where you're at or what you power but that is 1/2 to 1/4 the bills around here, especially during A/C season. I think the average in our area would be $300-400. Of course, more in the mini-mansions that are becoming so common.

I'm in southwest Iowa. My electric bill averages maybe $80 per month, and we are not particularly conservative.

bison
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2014 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Electric meter running backwards Reply to specific post Reply with quote

[quote="rustyfarmall"](reply to post at 12:25:18 05/10/14) [/quote/]I can't see how these panels can power the whole farm for more than a couple hrs a day unless the sun stays stationary in the sky there?

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.