Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Are Front Wheels Supposed to be Cambered?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tom Bowman
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 4:09 am    Post subject: Are Front Wheels Supposed to be Cambered? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I got the TO-20 off the cribbing and jackstands last evening - only took a year or so!

I replaced the pivot pin/bushing, and also installed new front spindles and spindle bushings.

I don't remember how it looked before, and the old spindles/bushings and pivot pin/bushing were totally shot, BUT: are the front wheels supposed to be cambered, as seen in the photo?

(The spindles are on the correct side, bushings were sized, and the spindles fit fine. Wheel bearings are greased and adjusted.)

Tom H.
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 4:20 am    Post subject: Re: Are Front Wheels Supposed to be Cambered? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't think you have a problem there because there is no
mechanical adjustment to the front wheels. Your toe in
adjustment is all you have to do and that is 0-1/4".

Dan S (NY)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Are Front Wheels Supposed to be Cambered? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

From what I have experienced, Ferguson tractors I have bought that have old spindles have very little camber and the wheels have a straight up and down look. Whenever I have bought new spindles they always have more positive camber just as you now have. I got one new spindle that I eventually changed out because they went way to far and the wheel had more lean to it than I liked. It can change the look of the front end when you are used to having the older spindles but there isn't much you can do about it other than having the old spindles repaired.

Dan

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 4:45 am    Post subject: Re: Are Front Wheels Supposed to be Cambered? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The reason that old spindles have 0 or negative camber is that they are worn or bent.

Tony in Mass.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 5:02 am    Post subject: Re: Are Front Wheels Supposed to be Cambered? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I wouldn't lose sleep over this. We've got to remember these machines were designed around their original intent- pulling a plow/plough. With the right wheel in a furrow up to the hub, the left side would be nice and plumb wouldn't it?
If the spindle has a half inch of slop from wallowing itself out, then you'd have to figure out the best repair options, like new bushings?-otherwise, just keep them well greased.

Tom Bowman
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2014 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Are Front Wheels Supposed to be Cambered? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks, guys.

Tony, just to clarify: everything is new and tight - I just wasn't sure about the camber angle. (I did have that "half inch of slop", before I replaced the spindles and bushings.)

Dan, I thought about repairing my worn out original spindles, but I wouldn't have been able to do the work myself, and I don't have a buddy with a machine shop. (I did keep the old spindles, though - just in case! Wink )

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Harry Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters