Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Water well not producing volume LONG!

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
guido
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 12:35 pm    Post subject: Water well not producing volume LONG! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello,
The well is about 10years old. It is a submerged pump on a pit less adapter. This morning I added 10 lbs. of pressure to the bladder. It had 28# so I got it up to 38#. Could not keep the pressure up with sprinklers on. Went down below 40# It took a couple of minute to hit full pressure. But one flush and on again it went. I'm looking for something that I can do to get the volume up.
I'm thinking may be time to flush it. There are very fine grains of sand in one of the toilets. Smallest grain of sand I have ever seen, almost powder like. Any help would be appreciated,

Guido.

retired farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Water well not producing volume LONG! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you are getting sand in the water, the pump impeller is probably worn out from the sand.

rusted nuts

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 1:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Water well not producing volume LONG! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If your getting fine sand FROM the well the LAST thing you want is to increase the flow! Should cut well back to at least 5 gpm. If it still pumps fine sand then you have BIG trouble with the well.

leroy in ne

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 2:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Water well not producing volume LONG! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

pressure in bladder tank should be 2 psi less than cut in pressure of switch with pump off and tank drained by opening faucet . this is so there will be water left in tank when pump starts. changing this may cause bladder to rupture or water to stop flowing before pump starts. it will have no effect on the pumping rate. decreased pumping rate may be caused by worn pump a hole in the drop pipe, well pumping dry ect.

JDemaris
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Water well not producing volume LONG! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sand in the water is often a sign that the pump is set too close to the bottom of the well. That and/or is been running near empty.

Changing the bladder pressure has no effect on the pressure or flow rate. It only effects pump cycling.

Owen Aaland
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 4:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Water well not producing volume LONG! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Adding air will decrease the water volume in the tank when the pump switches off.

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Water well not producing volume LONG! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You need to change the pressure setpoints on the pump if you change pressure in the tank. Like others have said, tank pressure should be 2 PSI lower than cutin pressure, so that should now be set to 40 PSI.

MarkB_MI
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2014 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Water well not producing volume LONG! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It seems to me you're trying to fix one problem by creating another. If the well isn't putting out sufficient volume, adding precharge pressure to the tank won't help; it may even make matters worse.

First, back up and make sure the tank precharge is correct. Determine what pressure the pump cuts on at. Then completely drain the tank and check the precharge pressure. The precharge should be 2 psi LESS than the cut-on pressure. If the precharge is higher, then the tank will run dry before the pump cuts on, with resultant loss of water pressure for an instant. Of course, you can't really trust your pressure gages; since you're probably using different gages to check water pressure and precharge it's possible for them to be off from each other by 2 psi. If in doubt, less precharge is better than more. You can have zero precharge and the system will work, but if your precharge is greater than the cut-on pressure it will drive you nuts.

Once you've got the precharge back where it should be you can investigate your original problem. As I understand it, it's taking too long for the pump to build up enough pressure to cut off. Assuming the cut-on and cut-off pressures are set to reasonable levels (say 40/60), if your pump takes two minutes to cycle I'd say you need a visit by a well driller; you're not going to be able to fix the problem yourself.

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 4:14 am    Post subject: Re: Water well not producing volume LONG! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds like you have narrow range on your control. It should be a minimum of twenty pounds between cut-in and cut-out. increasing cut out five pounds won't hurt. Mark is right on with his explanation. You could also have a partially plugged screen at the pump. Minerals can build up on the screen and also trap grains of sand.

guido
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: Water well not producing volume LONG! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello,

The pump was short cycling the last time the sprinkler was on last year. This year won't even pick two heads up. They heads should pop at 25#. So if I got pressure volume most be the problem?. I did not check it for proper cycling, I added air because of that. I know that more air does not produce more volume, and it had only 28# in the bladder. Pressure setting is on @ 40# off at 60#. What I am going to do first, is blow the well out and hope to clear it that way. Second I will pick the pump off the bottom by 5 feet. Then if all this has failed to give me the volume I need.......NEW PUMP! OR new well?

Guido.

rusted nuts

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: Water well not producing volume LONG! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don"t know where you live at But here in Mercer county Pa. If you have that trouble with Low water flow and small sand You better be calling the driller that drilled it. Do you know how much water the well will make without over pumping it? Do you know the recovery rate? Is it a rock well or gravel well? Is there a flow reducer on the well? These are some of the things you need to know before you "Blow the well out" Or you could very well Blow the well out at least the bottom of it. We have wells here that are finish in sand and gravel That We stomp Stones and rock down on the bottom to keep them from "Blowing out" Pushing sand 20 or30 feet right up the hole and shutting off the water. Good luck.

big fred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2014 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: Water well not producing volume LONG! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Our well showed a decrease in volume followed the 2001 Nisqually earthquake. Took about a year before the effects showed up. Had to drill another well a couple hundred yards away.

guido
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Water well not producing volume LONG! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello rusted nuts,

Thanks for the info. I need to check all of the well properties. It may be gravel well. My blowing will be done with a small volume as a quick test. Most people around the place have the same sand problem. Calling the installer will may be the way to go.
Guido.

D beatty
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 5:34 am    Post subject: Re: Water well not producing volume LONG! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you are pulling sand you need a well man. Sounds like screen is bad ( plugged).

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2014 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Water well not producing volume LONG! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What make and model of pump? Specs ?
What is the free flow rate per minute with minimal from the largest/closest tap to the pump?
How deep is the well and how far down is the pump. Some municipities have the county well info online .
There are pumps made with metal impellers to last a bit longer with abrasive water.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters