Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

pics of hooks

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nisse
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 5:06 pm    Post subject: pics of hooks Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hopefully here are pics of hooks.
John

bison
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: pics of hooks Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Looks good

Dalex
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2014 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: pics of hooks Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nice welding !!

Brad Buchanan
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:45 am    Post subject: Re: pics of hooks Reply to specific post Reply with quote

nice work.

guido
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 5:55 am    Post subject: Re: pics of hooks Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello nisse,

The welds look good. How about welding the rest, making it a 360* weld?

Guido.

dr sportster
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: pics of hooks Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So much for the advice to farm it out . Lookin' good. Don't think they will break. You didn't instill much confidence in your earlier posts.You kinda sounded like you didn't weld much.Looks like you got some experience !

Billy NY
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: pics of hooks Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'd say you know what you are doing, profile sure looks good, heat and or penetration, fusion, sure looks the part ! I welded a hook onto the deck of my rotary mower, to make it easier to lift and flip over, few passes, but its got that void on the bottom side of the weld, I'm sure its on their but good, it should look like yours ! LOL !

Did you use a type of 7018 electrode and what did you have the machine set at and the size of electrode ? I know every machine is different, just curious.

nisse
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: pics of hooks Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks, I actually do a fair amount of welding, but not much stick since I got my mig welder. My first practice welds didn't look very good, was a good excuse to burn some rods!
John

nisse
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 12:17 pm    Post subject: Re: pics of hooks Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The welder is my dad's old 295 amp twentieth century, I think it works better than a buzz box. Used 6011 for first pass and 7014 for 2 top passes. All 5/32 diameter and about 160 amps.
John

Jason the Red
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2014 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: pics of hooks Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bead looks good but you may want to fill the ends. If the hook gets pulled laterally, the lack of weld on the ends could cause the weld to crack.

Stick welding

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2014 10:08 pm    Post subject: Re: pics of hooks Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"I think it works better than a buzz box."

It is a buzzbox. A 295 amp one. LoL

Weld around the ends. Curious why you didn't use 7018 like you were going to use? Sometimes it's best to get the right supplies for a project.

Monk

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2014 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: pics of hooks Reply to specific post Reply with quote

the bottom one is upside down

dpendzic
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2014 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: pics of hooks Reply to specific post Reply with quote

were the size of the welds matched to the strength of the chains you will be using?

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters