Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which Boom Pole?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
carpetfarmer
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:10 am    Post subject: Which Boom Pole? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I"ve seen a couple of different styles of boom poles, for lifting. One mounts just like any other 3 pt implement, using the top link. The other mounts "solid" in place of the top link, like a post hole digger, creating a pivot point rather than just vertical motion from the 3 pt. My question, which is better, or more "ideal" if you would?

ericlb
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Which Boom Pole? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

id go for the one that mounts directly , the end of that one is probably closer to the tractor than the other, you want to stay as close as possible to the tractor with the pole end with a N as you dont have a lot of front end weight there and the farther out the end of the pole, the less you can lift

Ultradog MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: Which Boom Pole? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would say the type that hitches up like any other impliment as you can adjust the height of it with the top link.

maxwell99
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Which Boom Pole? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I built this one years ago and it has always worked well for me. strong enough that I can easily pull the front of the tractor off the ground if the pickup load is too heavy.
!!!!!you must have some adjustment!!!!!!!

sometimes you will want the end of the boom pole higher or lower either at the start of the lift or the top of the lift.

with one like mine, you just lengthen or shorten the top link arm. it makes an easy higher/lower adjustment to the end of the boom pole.

on a boom pole that the pole connects to the top link of the tractor, to make height adjustments you have to move the lift arm bracket adjustment under the lift pole. much like the the lift adjustment on my Post hole digger.

However it works too, so go with the one you get the best deal on.

notjustair
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 4:57 am    Post subject: Re: Which Boom Pole? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Go with the normal mount. By adjusting the third link you can change it a lot. I can have the top of the boom almost touch the ground with it turned out and the tip about 6 feet off the ground with it turned in. The adjustment really helps when you can't lift something quite high enough - you have a way to adjust.

howdy1960
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:41 am    Post subject: Re: Which Boom Pole? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have the adjustable boom pole and even though I haven't used the non-adjustable I prefer what I have. I can adjust the top link for differant lifting needs. Should I ever tap my hydraulic FEL system I can install a hyd. top link for expanded lifting capacities and uses.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 3:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Boom Pole? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

my vote is for adjustability!

ScoutB
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Boom Pole? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My non-adjustable pole lifts from 2' to 8'. I like it, but since I've never used the adjustable one I really can't compare.

Tall T
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Boom Pole? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Very cool paint job Scout!!!

I can't get my head around this. . . .
If you lengthen the top link it allows the boom to go down closer to the load with a shorter chain, but then the end of the boom doesn't lift as high as it would have with a shortened top link. (?)

It seems like six of one and half a dozen of the other . . . there's something I'm not grasping here. Shocked

Last edited by Tall T on Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
carpetfarmer
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Boom Pole? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you all for your input. I never thought about being able to adjust the toplink on the normal 3 pt mounting system.

I snagged a TSC brand boom off of Craigslist for $25. It's in real good shape, no bends or cracked/broken welds, just a little bit of rust.

mbramble
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Boom Pole? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Quote:
I never thought about being able to adjust the toplink on the normal 3 pt mounting system.

What would really be handy for the boom pole -- and for a dirt scoop -- would be a hydraulic top link!! So, not only could you raise and lower the units, but change the angle of them as well without having to crank on the top link manually. Really wish I had one for my tractor......

Greg (2N) TX
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 09, 2014 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Boom Pole? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have an adjustable top link with TOH's live hydraulics and an open center power beyond control valve mounted on the back to the remote ports. I do like it very very much to adjust for all kinds of angles!
Greg

maxwell99
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:46 am    Post subject: Re: Which Boom Pole? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Suggestion:

Might want to do this,
After ever tool I build, I always test the tool by picking up something, that if dropped it will not be damaged or break,

This procedure will insure all welds on the new to you boom pole are sound.

Nice find!!!!

mbramble
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2014 5:13 am    Post subject: Re: Which Boom Pole? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Greg (2N) TX wrote:
(quoted from post at 00:17:25 07/10/14) I have an adjustable top link with TOH's live hydraulics and an open center power beyond control valve mounted on the back to the remote ports. I do like it very very much to adjust for all kinds of angles!
Greg

I have TOH's live hydraulics also and I keep thinking that I need to add a control valve (or whatever is needed) so I can add a hydraulic top link!

Greg (2N) TX
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2014 6:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Which Boom Pole? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well it takes a little money and work but it is well worth it. I took my own sweet time to make the control valve bracket and to run the "to tank" line from the CV to the right inspection port cover. I should put together a parts list for all the fittings, hoses, CV, & hyd top link. Just let me know if you want pics and info.
Greg

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.