Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

i am in and i am guessing this is not good....35hyd

View previous topic :: View next topic  
s19438
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:33 am    Post subject: i am in and i am guessing this is not good....35hyd Reply to specific post Reply with quote

steady stream coming from up top somewhere and also a spritzing of oil from towards front blowing back.

does pto have to be engaged ????????

Dan S (NY)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: i am in and i am guessing this is not good....35hyd Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No, the PTO doesn't need to be engaged on a 35 for the hydraulics to work. Looks like your piston rings are leaking pretty good. If you use a small mirror and a light so you can look up, you will probably see fluid running out the end of the cylinder. You are going to have to pull the top cover off to fix that. Also replace all the standpipe O-rings while you're at it, and maybe a new relief valve for good measure.

Dan

s19438
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: i am in and i am guessing this is not good....35hyd Reply to specific post Reply with quote

well that's just ducky. Sad

Richard L
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: i am in and i am guessing this is not good....35hyd Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Look at the good side, once repaired you shouldn't have to fix it again for what 50 some years? Set up a movie camera so the younger generation can see how to repair it in 50 more years. Smile Make sure the movie stays with the tractor. LOL

s19438
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: i am in and i am guessing this is not good....35hyd Reply to specific post Reply with quote

50 years? that would make me 114!

Bob (Aust)
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: i am in and i am guessing this is not good....35hyd Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Quote:
50 years? that would make me 114!

Only a young wiper snipper............. Laughing

Xwild
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: i am in and i am guessing this is not good....35hyd Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Lift cylinder is an easy repair. I did mine for the same reason.. rings were shot. And I had to do the upgrade to the larger cylinder since I've got an early model. Which meant having to drill out the mounting holes in the top cover to fit the bigger bolts. If you've got the big cylinder already, you could do the job in a day. USE A LIFT to take off the top cover. Don't try to do it by hand.

s19438
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: i am in and i am guessing this is not good....35hyd Reply to specific post Reply with quote

30 years ago it may have been easy but not now. then again 30 years ago everything was easy.

Xwild
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: i am in and i am guessing this is not good....35hyd Reply to specific post Reply with quote

use a hoist and it won't be hard.. since the only hard portion of the job is getting the cover off and back on...

Not sure if anyone here has tried replacing the cylinder without removing the top cover... it might be possible..

Richard L
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: i am in and i am guessing this is not good....35hyd Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Okay, just hang in there!!!!! HA HA

John(UK)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:11 am    Post subject: Re: i am in and i am guessing this is not good....35hyd Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Remove the LEFT side round inspection port, the one with the PTO Lever, you can see more through that one. No you don't need the PTO engaged to drive the Pump. You can look in through the port to see just where the oil is leaking from. From how you describe it, (leaking at the front and blowing back) it is most likely the "O" rings on the High pressure pipe from the Pump up to the top and you get to that easy enough by removing the square plate just forward of the seat that is held on with 2 bolts. make sure the hydraulics are lowered before you remove it. Lift the plate straight up and replace the "O" rings at both ends. These often leak and even if it isn't showing a leak just now, well worth changing them. The only other thing that can leak in the top is the Lift Cylinder and there is an "O" ring under that, this means that the top cover need to come off. If you need more written info about all this, email me and I will send it to you.. John(UK).. fergusontractors@hotmail.com

s19438
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: i am in and i am guessing this is not good....35hyd Reply to specific post Reply with quote

thank you all for your input. I have another 35 that has hyd. problems and I will get that one in the garage next. whichever 35 is the least challenging will get taken care of first.
if both require taking the top cover off I will wait till winter to tackle the problem's. my son will be laid off then and he will provide the muscle where I fall short.

DrLoch
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: i am in and i am guessing this is not good....35hyd Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Or make the handy dandy bracket to lift/rotate the cover off. I have a PDF of it.

Last edited by DrLoch on Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:11 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Harry Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters