Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Massey Ferguson 175 PTO

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
civilianwilly
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 3:16 pm    Post subject: Massey Ferguson 175 PTO Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey all. I have a Massey Ferguson 175 that I have bought without any hydraulics or PTO functionality. I was told it was gone through and rebuilt and then stopped working a month after the previous owner got it back. I removed the right cover (dipstick side) and looked in there and some things do look new. I cannot remove the left side as there are pipes and levers connected. Hydraulic fluid did run out when i removed the cover plate. The pto shaft can be turned by hand when the engine is off and I put in gear (engine off) it still turns. The pto shaft does not work at all with engine running regardless of lever position or anything else. Neither do the hydraulics. I am open to any and all answers the only thing i ask is that we dont bombard this post with do this/do that messages. I will do one thing at a time and post pictures before moving on/ruling out problems and hopefully, together, we can figure this one out!

Dieseltech
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2015 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Massey Ferguson 175 PTO Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Need to know how tractor is equipped, is the PTO the late fully independent hydraulic clutch or the two stage foot clutch type? There is a chance with either type clutch the drive is lost at the PTO input shaft in front of the transmission..

Bob N.Y.
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Massey Ferguson 175 PTO Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dieseltech is correct. It makes a difference whether the tractor has a 2 stage clutch or IPTO. Either way the problem is likely to be in the bell housing rather than the transmission/rear end, splines stripped out of the hub on the back of the clutch cover for IPTO or a problem with the secondary clutch disc for the 2 stage. Suggest you take the cover plate off the underside of the bell housing and look up in there.

civilianwilly
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 7:52 am    Post subject: Re: Massey Ferguson 175 PTO Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for getting back. As previously stated I will post pictures of what I see. I have attached a picture of the plate you guys mentioned. More accurately, what's inside the bellhousing behind the plate. I can see a clutch pressure plate and release bearing inside. There are three fingers or forks with 1/2" nuts and bolts on them inside there as well. If I have to split it I will. I will do whatever we decide needs to be done to fix it. Again, the symptoms are no pto shaft spinning and no hydraulic power.

Bob N.Y.
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2015 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Massey Ferguson 175 PTO Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The pto and hydraulic pump are both driven by the same shaft, the outer transmission input shaft. Can you tell what that shaft is connected to in the clutch area? It should be either a hub that is riveted to the clutch cover or a clutch disc. Can you determine if the outer input shaft turns when the engine turns?

Tom from Buckeye Lake
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Massey Ferguson 175 PTO Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have we determined that this tractor has IPTO ? Does your PTO lever look like this one (Red Knob)? If so, I had a problem with my 150 with IPTO after rebuild.

Hydraulics and IPTO stopped working a few days after rebuild. Some DumbA** left a cotton towel in the belly of the beast when cleaning the pump area and clogged the filters. Lift cover had to come off again to clean out all the bits and pieces. Sad

civilianwilly
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Massey Ferguson 175 PTO Reply to specific post Reply with quote

well the knob is gone but yes it has a pto lever like that but my auxiliary hydraulics are a tab bit different. I honestly do not know if IPTO or not so if anyone could tell me that would be great. I have a picture of the hydraulics. I have the foot boards removed and have two hydro lines disconnected and the pto lever is removed also. Thanks everyone for the helpful advice. I am looking for the next step in the diagnostic procedure to find the smoking gun.

civilianwilly
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: Massey Ferguson 175 PTO Reply to specific post Reply with quote

to do that i am guessing i will need to block the wheels securely, start the engine and look under with safety glasses and a flashlight to see what is turning and what is not. Let me check that now. We have had a torrential amount of rain the last two weeks and everything is mud, mud, mud outside

Dieseltech
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:21 am    Post subject: Re: Massey Ferguson 175 PTO Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Independent PTO tractors do not have ground drive position while two stage foot clutch tractors do have..

civilianwilly
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: Massey Ferguson 175 PTO Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dieseltech wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:21:21 07/05/15) Independent PTO tractors do not have ground drive position while two stage foot clutch tractors do have..

okay that makes sense to me but the hydraulics are out and I just got it so I wouldn't know for sure. it seems like it has a selection for ground drive neutral and engine drive but I cannot swear by it. is there another way for me to verify bc I am really really ignorant about this model sorry guys lol but please keep the help coming and we will figure this one out for sure!

Bob N.Y.
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Massey Ferguson 175 PTO Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it is live pto, the pto lever would engage a fork that moves a sliding coupler behind the hydraulic pump to put the pto in gear. If it is IPTO the lever would operate a valve that engages a hydraulic clutch pack behind the hydraulic pump. What do you see inside the tractor where the left side cover was?

Dieseltech
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 05, 2015 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Massey Ferguson 175 PTO Reply to specific post Reply with quote

On IPTO models the left side cover can't be removed until lines on inside are removed first, which requires the lift cover to come off for the lines access. PTO/MP pressure test and two auxiliary lines..

Bob N.Y.
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 3:26 am    Post subject: Re: Massey Ferguson 175 PTO Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It has been almost 40 years since I was into one of those. Guess the memory is getting a bit foggy.

ptfarmer
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 6:57 am    Post subject: Re: Massey Ferguson 175 PTO Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If the side cover where the pto lever is has hydraulic fittings on it like this one

its independent pto (can be engaged, and disengaged without depressing the clutch). All modern tractors are probably all ipto, its nice not having to depress the clutch to use the pto.

Tom from Buckeye Lake
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2015 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Massey Ferguson 175 PTO Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Willy, Here's a picture of the inner workings. Your 175 may have the larger pump for IPTO and external hydraulics. The standard pump produced 4 gpm and the larger pump produced around 14 gpm (I think).

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Massey Harris & Massey Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters