Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Jumping through the hoops II

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Geo-TH,In
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:28 am    Post subject: Jumping through the hoops II Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just read an article where a record number of home sales in US, 2016, go form for sale, to pending sale, back to for sale because homes fail to pass inspection.

So those who are glad you live where you can do what you want because you have no hoops to jump through may have a final hoop, when you try to sell your property.

Our county jail was rebuilt less than 10 years ago with the possibility of adding more floors in the future. Not sure what has changed, some say the state prision system requires the county keep prisioners normally they would get. Bottom line, a lawyer is suing the county because of jail conditions, over crowding. Because of over crowding, we spend $1M a year to house prisoners in near by countys. County commissioners found out because of new building codes, they can't add more floors to the jail. Now they want to spend $66M for a new jail and can't figure out where the money is coming from.
So even the county has to jump through hoops, building codes.

W_B
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: Jumping through the hoops II Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Our county is in the process of building a new jail and offices for the sheriff. We too were sending prisoners to other counties. All knew it had to be done, the fight was over where to put it. The old jail and offices are OLD and not very functional any more, and there had been several escapes recently. If we want to keep the bad people off the streets we need to pony up a place to put them. To me that is one of the essential government services, I won't get into the ones that I think that gov. has no business being in.

LAA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:57 am    Post subject: Re: Jumping through the hoops II Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I still like living with zero codes to conform with or permits to acquire to build something, where I live you can build a outhouse next door to to a mansion if you want to and there ain't nothing anyone can do about it, and neither the mansion or the outhouse requires any paperwork or government meddling. Of course, I plan on croaking in my house or crawling off in the bushes along the creek on my place when it's time to croak so I won't be missing out on any sales either way. As far as jails go, Sheriff Joe had it right, tents in the desert and work gangs, no 66 million dollar jails required.

Bret4207
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Jumping through the hoops II Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Our county built a new jail a few years back. At the time many of said they needed to build it much larger, that we would need the space and could rent out space to other counties. Nope. So now it's full and we're still sending people to distant counties.

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: Jumping through the hoops II Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"So those who are glad you live where you can do what you want because you have no hoops to jump through may have a final hoop, when you try to sell your property."

You can sell it,the buyer likely just can't get a mortgage. A land contract or a cash sale and you can sell anything in any condition.

Steamboat
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:03 am    Post subject: Re: Jumping through the hoops II Reply to specific post Reply with quote

5 miles from my house we closed a very large state prison. It was only about 35 years old. They had death row there, though they did not do the dirty deed there. About 32 years ago 6 death row inmates overtook a guard, put a TV on a stretcher with a blanket over it, called the main gate and told them to bring a van to them , they had a bomb to get rid of. This actually happened, folks, it was on discovery channel. I was building my house at the time and wondered why helicopters were flying very low. Anyway, they finally caught them all and executed them.
But that is not my point.... 20 years after that event they closed that facility (did I say it was huge?), and built a brand new multi million dollar regional jail right next door!!!!! Common sense would lead one to believe that they could have saved one wing of the old penitentiary for reuse as a regional jail. Oh, and it gets better, the state pen was a major employer in this poor county. They told the layed-off state pen guards that they did not qualify for guards at the regional jail.

oldtanker
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:07 am    Post subject: Re: Jumping through the hoops II Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-rrlund wrote:
(quoted from post at 07:50:48 01/11/17) "So those who are glad you live where you can do what you want because you have no hoops to jump through may have a final hoop, when you try to sell your property."

You can sell it,the buyer likely just can't get a mortgage. A land contract or a cash sale and you can sell anything in any condition.

Don't know about there but here the number of people with cash are few and the people I know who have tried to sell contract for deed have horror stories. And a lot of the people with money are buying a home with a mortgage so they can write off the interest. So it's got to pass and inspection by the bank/mortgage company and most buyers are paying for a private inspection too. It varies area to area and state to state based on a lot of factors to include codes!

Rick

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Jumping through the hoops II Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What I'm saying is,nobody at the courthouse is gonna tell you that you can't sell it. A quit claim deed transfers property. If the owner and the person it's being transferred to are in agreement,that's all you need.

Charlie M
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Jumping through the hoops II Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would be surprised if any bank would lend money or insurance company write an insurance policy on property bought with a quit claim deed. Many people have bought the Brooklyn bridge with a quit claim deed.Maybe its different in other states but they aren't worth much in NY.

hadley
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:33 am    Post subject: Re: Jumping through the hoops II Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Codes change all the time. Your house does not have to stay current with all codes to sell. You must follow codes for any new work you do to the place and follow the codes that are in place at that time. To say that houses aren't selling because people aren't keeping with code is preposterous. Also, when I bought my house 12 yrs ago I took a mortgage and bank said it was up to me if I wanted to get an inspection. All they wanted to see was an appraisal to make sure they were covered.

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: Jumping through the hoops II Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't understand "Not worth much"? If somebody signs a piece of property over to you with a quit claim deed,it's yours free and clear. They relinquish any claim to it. "Quit claim".
No,no bank will give you a mortgage on it. A personal loan with something else for collateral though maybe. Many a repo is bought that way.

Goose
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 7:56 am    Post subject: Re: Jumping through the hoops II Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sounds familiar. I'm a County Commissioner in a county in the final stages of building a new three story Criminal Justice Center that will include a new 66 bed jail with a wing for female prisoners, the County and District Court areas, 911 call center for the city and county, Sheriff's department, County Attorney and her staff, etc.

Our old jail was just built in 1978 with 24 beds and no provisions for female prisoners. We were spending a lot of money just boarding prisoners elsewhere, plus the costs of shuttling back and forth for court appearances, etc.

Surprisingly, we have had few objections from the public. Simple logic says when population expands, the infrastructure needs to expand with it.

jimg.allentown
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Jumping through the hoops II Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It is my understanding that the purpose of a home inspection is to identify any serious defects. Like a leaking roof, cracked or deteriorating foundation, and bad wiring or plumbing. Things that need attention right away. This is to protect the buyer from being defrauded by hidden defects that a seller may be deliberately hiding.
I sure would not want to buy a house and find out a week later that the roof leaks or the plumbing is all choked up with hard water deposits.

Then there are zoning laws. Most of the zoning laws were put in place to prevent your neighbors from making your home unlivable. And to keep you from doing that to your neighbors. After all, once you build your McMansion, do you really want somebody to start a junkyard on one side and a pig farm on the other side? Things like that DID happen before zoning laws.

jacksun65
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Jumping through the hoops II Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The prison systems in this country are corrupted, Big business has gotten into the game and is making billions on private prisons. So people and lawyers are forcing the gov to use their private prisons for profit. They even have debtors prisons now that the prisoners have to pay for or they get locked up again until the gov starts paying.

rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2017 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Jumping through the hoops II Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You saw that too huh? Private prisons have a contract where they have to have a certain percent of occupancy,usually 97%,or the state has to pay a fine to them,and it's huge,so there's little to no incentive to release prisoners. A lot of incentives to keep them incarcerated for whatever trivial reasons. It's cheaper for the state to pay to keep them there than it is to pay the fine for empty beds.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters