Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Ram ecodiesel

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mmfan55
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 3:18 pm    Post subject: Ram ecodiesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What are the experiences? Power,durability, dependability, problems, light hauler or grocery fetcher, etc....

Mark (PA)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2017 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Ram ecodiesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

2014, put 50K miles on it. Injectors went out, Replaced under warranty, No DEF related issues, MPG HWY/City Mix was 18 to 20. Never saw some of the upper 20 MPG some guys say they get. Nice Truck. WOuldn't know its a diesel honestly. Very quiet and just a very low diesel tone to it unless you modify it of course... Good luck.

PretendFarmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Ram ecodiesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If your only getting 18-20 then there isn't likely a financial benefit to it versus a comparable gas truck. Especially since I know guys that are getting 17 mpg highway out of new GM 2500HD 6.0's.

charles todd
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Ram ecodiesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My 2013 Denali HD 6.0L Z71 will get 15-17 mpg highway all day. Mixed driving nets about 12-13 mpg. Not bad for a 6700+ lb truck.

I looked at the Ecodiesel. Seems to fill a niche that did not exist in the 1/2 ton light truck market. The Titan XD Cummins fits between 1/2 and 3/4 ton, marketed as a "5/8 ton." I needed a 3/4 ton and did not want the expense of purchase and maintenance (DEF, $100 oil changes, injectors, ect) on a HD diesel engine.

Haters can say what they want. Gas is still the most economical overall (initial cost, fuel cost, maintenance cost) in the 1500-3500 class of trucks.

I know hotshot drivers that traded in their 3500 Ram Cummins and bought 3500 Ram 6.4 Hemi's and make more profit pulling 48' trailers.

CT

RedGreenGuy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Ram ecodiesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Article on that truck in TDR magazine. $150.00 for oil change. Done correctly oil change takes 2 hours.

mmfan55
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Ram ecodiesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not getting much feedback from owners. Either no one own one or they just don't want to talk about that Italian built engine. Fiat Chrysler sure don't advertise and promote that engine much.

Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Ram ecodiesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My 2014 Hemi is getting a steady 19.5,last tank was over 20. I just can t see a diesel in my future.

26Red
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Ram ecodiesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My coworker has one. He is pretty happy with it. Way better mileage than my truck (same model), mid 20s for mpg compared to my 15 mpg v8.

I'm not sure if they have released the 2017's yet, due to the EPA investigation...

PretendFarmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 4:07 am    Post subject: Re: Ram ecodiesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The days of the simple and efficient diesels died with the 12 valve.
I doubt very highly I will ever own a full size newer diesel truck. My 6.0 pulls my gooseneck fine for me. Though not a rocket ship, its a tough motor built with 6 bolt mains that red lines at 6,000 rpms. Even the new 6.0's are only getting 380ft-lbs but because they can rev so high it can maintain highway speeds while pulling grades.
In my opinion the new Ecodiesel is nothing more than a marketing ploy and there is no real life financial benefit to buying it. I find that most diesel owners these days own them simply for bragging rights and/or are sucked into the marketing hype.

flhr62
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Ram ecodiesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wife has that engine in a Grand Cherokee. Averages about 31 mpg

Walter Buller
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Ram ecodiesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If money was no object, I still would not buy a new truck, diesel or gas. I strongly object to all the unnecessary and expensive computerized systems found on todays new trucks that don't get much if any better fuel mileage, and sometimes get even less. For example, a new injector on most any new truck today, Dodge, Chevy, or Ford, costs over $600. Rebuilding the pump costs $4000-$6000. Plus these new trucks are real picky about their food. I can buy a whole set of injectors for my "93 Dodge for less than $300, and rebuild the pump for $600. And even with well over half a million miles on it, it still gets 23 mpg. Plus I can feed it used ATF, motor oil, vegetable oil, transformer oil, or any other lightweight, combustible oil. I carry used motor oil in the bed. I put 3 gallons of it in every tank full. It makes the motor run smoother, gives me more power, lubricates the pump, and gives me over 60 miles of free driving with every tankful. I could run a 50/50 mixture probably but I don't want the smoke. I ran this truck for 6 months all over this country burning nothing but pure used ATF. But I prefer used motor oil because it is relatively free of particulate matter, unlike used ATF. The only drawback with these first generation Dodge diesels is that the Cummins motor is still asking for abuse long after the rest of the truck is starting to fall apart. I am correcting that problem by putting a "93 Cummins into a low mileage "94 Chevy dually with a "98 NV4500HD tranny which some of you may have noticed elsewhere on this forum. The hell with all this new technology that just costs more but without providing you with enough if any offsetting benefit.

charles todd
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Ram ecodiesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-mmfan55 wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:18:43 02/16/17) What are the experiences? Power,durability, dependability, problems, light hauler or grocery fetcher, etc....

I know we have gone Off Topic...

Look at how many private owner HD are diesel... (Most of them)

Look at how many commercial HD trucks are gas... (Trade contractors, City, State, ECT)

That alone told me what to buy at this time in the space time continuum.

CT

WGM
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 4:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Ram ecodiesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's a shame Cummins would allow their engines to be wasted on a Dodge truck.

kcm.MN
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2017 7:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Ram ecodiesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm with Walter. Too much technology = too much $$$$$$$$!!

I've read with enthusiasm over the years about the diesels used in Europe and how quiet and fuel efficient they are. Can't understand why the USA hasn't adopted some of those engines.

rustyfarmall
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:02 am    Post subject: Re: Ram ecodiesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If we could just get the EPA out of the picture, diesels would once again be a viable option.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Transporting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters