Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Ram ecodiesel

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Walter Buller
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Ram ecodiesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't quite feel that much loathing for my Dodge truck body. I suppose most people would be happy to get 500K miles out of their vehicle, especially when a lot of those miles were in pulling 20K# loads over hill and dale all over this country. The only really serious problem with the body is that the frame up front which was intended for a 318 or a 360 or maybe a 225 was not beefed up enough to carry the heavier 5.9 Cummins. I eventually had to take my truck to a frame shop to have the whole front end rebuilt. Plus the brakes could have been a lot bigger. Other than that it's just lots of little things that break on most any vehicle with that many hard miles on it. I know a man who drives a 2010? GMC with a Duramax in it who drives about 265 miles every day and who says his truck has 1,300,000 miles on it. Maybe so, but that truck has never pulled anything. It's just a driver. So almost all of those miles are highway miles in high gear and low rpm's hauling nothing but him, and he is not a big man. By contrast I have often hauled 15-20K# loads with my truck from can to can't and sometimes longer, and we're not talking about flat ground here either. So I don't really feel that I ought to complain about the truck itself. It has been very good to me and has made me a lot of money. It's just getting somewhat ragged, kind of like me.

Rick in Iowa
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2017 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Ram ecodiesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

nearby town got a new ambulance and got gas engine in it.they were tired if noise,smell and high maitanance costs.friend got new pickup 2-3 years ago.if I get in it I have no idea what im looking at on dash.barely see over side of box,no way to put things in and out over the sides like we used to.

MKinON
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2017 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Ram ecodiesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Local contractor has 2, new pickup for leisure and van for work. Loves both. Way better fuel economy than his previous hemi p/u and Econoline van. My 2013 Silverado 2500 with 6.0 is a pig on gas and always has been. Lucky to 14mpg empty and pulling my dump trailer loaded (14,000#gross) very lucky to get 7-8mpg. On the other hand, calculated we would need to put over 450,000 miles on a diesel version to break even on the extra cost and that was when diesel was still cheaper than gas. For our measly 20,000 miles/yr driven, truck would be long rusted away before that would happen, especially with our winter salt conditions. MK

PretendFarmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 3:52 am    Post subject: Re: Ram ecodiesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That's what so many people don't understand. Lots of people buy into the diesel hype thinking they are saving so much money....somehow.
And you know they think that because lots of diesel owners brag about mileage..Thats when I turn around and ask how much they paid for the truck.
Which usually shifts the conversation into "but the torque....but the torque!"

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2017 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: Ram ecodiesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would agree, doubt a Diesel pays for itself unless towing heavy for 60-100 thousand miles.

I just like the sound and torque, kind of like Tim the tool man.

Nick m
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Ram ecodiesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Got to factor in the resale value also. I
have an 01 Cummins I paid 15,500 for with
65k on it 7-8yrs ago. I bet I can still get
12-13 for it. 133k manual 4x4. Very well
taken care of though. New ones I'm not sure.
Figure I can't afford one until their 10yrs
old anyway.

PretendFarmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:27 am    Post subject: Re: Ram ecodiesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you paid $15,500 for an 01 Cummins 8 years ago you got yourself a steal then. 12-13k is kind of a stretch now though.

Dodgeit
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2017 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Ram ecodiesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

PretendFarmer wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:27:42 04/03/17) If you paid $15,500 for an 01 Cummins 8 years ago you got yourself a steal then. 12-13k is kind of a stretch now though.

It's not a stretch in SC. Dad just sold an '05 Dodge 350 SRW 4x4 for $28,700. Granted it only had 57K on the odometer, but the newer vehicles with EGR and DPF and DEF are keeping the older trucks values up.

mj
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:22 am    Post subject: Re: Ram ecodiesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-wgm wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:43:58 03/16/17) It's a shame Cummins would allow their engines to be wasted on a Dodge truck.

Yep - FORD needs them more! Laughing

mj
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2017 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Ram ecodiesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CVPost-wgm wrote:
(quoted from post at 18:43:58 03/16/17) It's a shame Cummins would allow their engines to be wasted on a Dodge truck.

Especially since FORD or GM needs them worse! Laughing

PretendFarmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Ram ecodiesel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dodgeit wrote:
(quoted from post at 23:29:55 05/24/17)
PretendFarmer wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:27:42 04/03/17) If you paid $15,500 for an 01 Cummins 8 years ago you got yourself a steal then. 12-13k is kind of a stretch now though.

It's not a stretch in SC. Dad just sold an '05 Dodge 350 SRW 4x4 for $28,700. Granted it only had 57K on the odometer, but the newer vehicles with EGR and DPF and DEF are keeping the older trucks values up.

They are keeping the value of Pre-DEF and DPF trucks up for sure but not ones that are 16 years old. Those trucks that are just before DEF/DPF are appealing because they have the new shine without the new headaches.
There aren't too many 12 valves and 24 valves diesels out there that don't have a million miles on them and aren't beat to hell.
When someone finds one with wicked low miles in good shape and no rust its gonna fetch a premium.
The same can be said about a mint condition low miles 2003 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 gas. You find one with say 50,000 original miles, loaded, not from the rust belt and a certain crowd would be willing to pay top dollar for it. I have seen 03-06 low miles 2500HD 4x4 6.0's in great shape with no rust sell for 15k, recently.
Kind of seems pointless to buy a diesel truck and only drive it 57,000 miles in (assuming) 12 years. That's why it was worth so much. And in my opinion, that price is too high especially if its an automatic.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Transporting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters