Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Super Major transmission issue.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JLMac
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 04, 2017 4:30 pm    Post subject: Super Major transmission issue. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I got this tractor last November and change all fluids. The transmission oil was 2-3 inches low and very dark. This spring after only few hours of run time including maybe 15 kilometers of road trips I changed the oil and found filings.

From info from Fordson sites I decided to haul her home and split, concerned about upper shaft bearings.

Got her split.

The lock nut on primary transmission upper shaft is stripped. I assume the woodruff key should lock the retainer. Could the woodruff break? The main transmission upper shaft bearing was missing one bearing holder, not sure what its called. All missing roller bearings in trans bottom.

Curious why the nut stripped. The woodruff key was not near the retainer, could it have broke. Sorry forgot to take picture of woodruff key before taking out (destroying).

Any advice on this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks Jeff

JLMac
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Major transmission issue. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've been on 6 day week work since I did the split but have managed to make some progress. Had a new nut made and reassembled it with permanent loctite.
]

JLMac
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 09, 2017 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Major transmission issue. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

2 of the clutch spring retainer stems were broke.

I used snowmobile head studs I had to repair them.

JLMac
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2017 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Super Major transmission issue. Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Got her back together, I changed the pto and transmission seals except for the small transmission input shaft seal. No leaks after a few around the block trips and it shifted good, quite a relieve.

Next I drove it 20 km out to my brothers acreage were I store it. It worked great, no leaks and transmission/rear end oil levels did not change Cool . Hope to get back to restoring it next summer.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Fordson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters