Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

are we prepared for a flat tire on trailer? Just sayin'....

Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jon f mn
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: are we prepared for a flat tire on trailer? Just sayin' Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Lol, we had a hay wagon with them on and they were flat for many years til the wore enough to colaps.

1206SWMO
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: are we prepared for a flat tire on trailer? Just sayin' Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Before any trip all tires are checked on the F-350 Ford dually and 25 ft gooseneck...I carry 2 spare
trailer tires and 1-2 spare truck tires....I have blocks,2 hydraulic jacks,and all the tools to change the
tires...I carry extra trailer bearings and grease...I have fuses,spare trailer lights,etc..I have spare belts
and radiator hoses for the truck,oil,anti-freeze,etc..I believe in being prepared..

ericlb
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: are we prepared for a flat tire on trailer? Just sayin' Reply to specific post Reply with quote

after experience, yes, all my trailers have mounted spares, checked before any trip all the trucks have tire changing tools as well as a way to lift the trailer and a lug wrench, at least a breaker bar and socket that fits the trailer , sitting on a loaded trailer in the sun while the wife goes and gets a tire in the nearest town is a experience i had years ago, and dont want to repeat, we're close enough to the boarder here that one doesn't leave untended trailers or tractors if one wants it there when he comes back

Wolff
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 2:25 pm    Post subject: Re: are we prepared for a flat tire on trailer? Just sayin' Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have had 2 blow outs on trailer tires while on interstate 81 in VA. Lessens learned buy a bottle jack while the truck jack may get the job done will give you a work out with
a 10k load on it. If you haul heavy loads upgrade the tires Some trailer companies will tell you the tow rig carries some of the weight (they do) and the go cheep on the
tires and the tires don't meet the GVW of the trailer. FYI trailers have a thicker sidewall then regular tires. I prefer a low profile jack and blocks of wood. With a flat you
may not be able to get a jack under the axle and may need to place a block under the tire and lower the jack and add a block under the jack just to get the trailer up high
enough to get a good tire under it. Last Pre Trip I had one tire that just didn't look right I bagged towing the trailer and bought new tires. Turns out a belts had come apart
in the tire and when I looked at the DOT date code the tire was 9 years old . For me I would rather spend $ 600 on tires than mess up a 40K tractor or a 2K tractor with
1000 hours of restoration in it.

VicS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: are we prepared for a flat tire on trailer? Just sayin' Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We have 3 sets of the 14 ply tires.
Holding up real well. Haven't even had a
flat yet. But oldest set is 4 yrs old.
Local tire shop said Try these oil field
guys haven't ruined but a few of.these.
Had me lift a 10 ply then a 14 ply. No
comparison. Just $25 appease more.

Brian Jasper co. Ia
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 12:10 pm    Post subject: Re: are we prepared for a flat tire on trailer? Just sayin' Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A really good way to have a spare is get a spindle stub that matches your trailer axles and mount a complete hub, bearings, and a wheel/tire. Weld the stub to the trailer and you not only have a spare tire carrier, you have a complete hub ready to go in the event you have a bearing failure.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Transporting All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters