Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Attention SparkieMiester (Dell) please help

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
9njunkie
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:22 am    Post subject: Attention SparkieMiester (Dell) please help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey sparkiemiester!!! I'm totally stumped and need your expertise. Working on trying to get a 9N running for somebody. Was sitting over a year. Here's the info...

12 volt negative ground.

New battery fully charged, new neutral safety switch, new key switch, new OEM dash resistor, new ceramic blob resistor. Starter motor turns engine over fine. Getting 12V to coil. New points gapped to .015... blue streak brand good stuff. New condenser, good copper strip to connect points. New coil. Verified by test lightthat points are opening and closing. New plug wires, cap and rotor. Pig tail on coil is making contact on brass screw and metal bendy tab is making contact on cap metal spot. Wired firing order 1,2,4,3. And I have spark that will jump 1/4 inch gap bright as the sun all day long... and of course new auto lite 437's gapped to .025. Tank was drained boiled and rinsed with gas and drained and re filled with fresh gas. New fuel line, sediment bowl and carburetor. We have positive strong suction on carb verified by hand hickie over air inlet. Choke is working. Pull the plug out the bottom of the carb and nice steady flowing stream of fuel.

The symptom is that as I hit the starter button engine turns over and rumpa rumpa .... and one pop backfire out the carb and that's it.

What am I missing? The only thing I did not check is for engine compression.... my gauge broke the other day but this tractors engine was just re built not too long ago (5years or less). So I assume it to be over 90PSI it does have enough to blow my finger off a sparkie hole.

For the life a me this one has got me stumped?! Any ideas or suggestions you could offer would be super!

Thanks o great sparkiemiester!

tracto-man
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Attention SparkieMiester (Dell) please help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would recheck the spark plug wire
firing order, just to be sure...

HCooke
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Attention SparkieMiester (Dell) please help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bypass ceramic bolb resistor and try it.. Report back.

Dell (WA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Attention SparkieMiester (Dell) please help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Junkie.........compression is NOT yer issue. Timing is maybe an issue; ie...1-pop... Ya say ya replaced the sparkies, may need to consider replacing them AGAIN!!! With all that crankin' ya FLOODED 'em. Don't throw 'em away, just clean'n'dry 'em one-atta-time in HOT running engine. And save'um fer the NEXT time. Fresh gas is always a good start, and fer S&G's, I'd adjust the down-pointing mainjet to 2-turns and LEAVITT!!! And makin' a WAG on yer side-pointing idlemix to 1/4-turn. 1/3-throttle shuld gittcha started. After about 15-mins, ya kenn re-adjust yer side-pointing idlemix fer FASTEST idle, NOT SMOOTHEST idle. Understand the difference??? Ennythang under 500-rpms is good to go. I know yer 9N ain't gotta "proofmeter" like 4-speed 8N's do butt make a guess. Just to make ya feel good, I have a 6-volt transistorized tachometer that I hooked up to my eazy starting 52-8N and got the idle down to 375-rpms. I also use it fer my semi-race 1969 BMW 2002 with dual Webers that will turn 7500-rpms. Beat the heck outta the OEM Solex anti-smog carbie. And believe it or not STILL passes the tailpipe smog test and gitts me 25-mpg....... HTH, SparkieMeister Dell

9njunkie
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: Attention SparkieMiester (Dell) please help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks all very much...

Dell I am on the way to go re stock my supply of sparkies.

I will re check plug wires

Will also try with bypassing the ceramic blob resistor as others suggested.

Will post back

R Geiger
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Attention SparkieMiester (Dell) please help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A compression test might tell you that you have stuck valve or two.

Den N Ms
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Attention SparkieMiester (Dell) please help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

9njunkie,I'm with R Geiger,Check compression and look for stuck intake valves.(backfire out the intake)

ZANE
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:53 am    Post subject: Re: Attention SparkieMiester (Dell) please help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

9njunkie,I'm with R Geiger,Check compression and look for stuck intake valves.(backfire out the intake)

Exactly what I was going to say!

Zane

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Attention SparkieMiester (Dell) please help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Everyone says these will run on two cylinders & I agree with them, so the question is, are all the intake valves stuck or at least 3 of them? Rolling Eyes

Tim PloughNman Daley
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Attention SparkieMiester (Dell) please help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Google JMOR's Wiring Pictograms and see all the CORRECT ways to wire these old N's then download a copy for yourself. Why do you have TWO resistors? Throwing a boatload of new parts into a problem may or not eventually stumble yer butt onto the root cause unknowingly so why not do a systematic, root cause problem solving procedure? Just saying baby steps, basics first -

Tim Daley(MI)

Den N Ms
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Attention SparkieMiester (Dell) please help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Everyone says these will run on two cylinders & I agree with them,If two plug wires are crossed or even removed.But if you have a intake valve or two hung open and backfiring out the intake of the carb all the raw fuel is burning in the intake manifold and little or none is getting to any good cylinders also the reverse flow of air through the carb and no vacuum to pull fuel air mix into the cylinders .

Lester Isby
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 5:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Attention SparkieMiester (Dell) please help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When I changed my 8N to 12 volt I used that ceramic resistor,Had same problem take that off,just use the OEM resistor.
The wiring instructions aren't real clear about that.It says use the ceramic if needed, what does that mean.They
shouldn't even put that ceramic one in the kit,you don't need it.

9njunkie
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Attention SparkieMiester (Dell) please help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

UPDATE:

So we went though and took everyone's advice. Checked compression... good, checked plug wires and firing order ...good, changed sparkies .... so we are god there too.

Still no change. So just for ha ha's double checked suction on intake with carb off. Had some suction but felt possibly weak to me.... compared to another 9N tractor here and noticed stronger suction!

Bingo 2 out of 4 intake valves were stuck. Pulled covers off and could see... and better hear what was going on. Intake's on cylinders 3 and 4 no go up n down. Soaked the cylinders with my fav MMO. We now have verified movement on all valves now. Worked the engine over for a while to run as much MMO out of the cylinders as possible then will re assemble and try to fire again.

Thanks all very much for all the great advice. Will post back in a day or two when I get it back together and hopefully running.

R Geiger
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:53 am    Post subject: Re: Attention SparkieMiester (Dell) please help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you had intake valves stuck open, there is no way you would get good compression. Just saying.

Hope that solves your problem.

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2017 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: Attention SparkieMiester (Dell) please help Reply to specific post Reply with quote

9njunkie wrote:
(quoted from post at 12:49:45 07/18/17) UPDATE:

So we went though and took everyone's advice. Checked compression... good, checked plug wires and firing order ...good, changed sparkies .... so we are god there too.

Still no change. So just for ha ha's double checked suction on intake with carb off. Had some suction but felt possibly weak to me.... compared to another 9N tractor here and noticed stronger suction!

Bingo 2 out of 4 intake valves were stuck. Pulled covers off and could see... and better hear what was going on. Intake's on cylinders 3 and 4 no go up n down. Soaked the cylinders with my fav MMO. We now have verified movement on all valves now. Worked the engine over for a while to run as much MMO out of the cylinders as possible then will re assemble and try to fire again.

Thanks all very much for all the great advice. Will post back in a day or two when I get it back together and hopefully running.
That begs the question of how intakes could be stuck (presumably open, as the cam would surely push open, so not stuck closed) and still have a good compression test?

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters